Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anybody heard this sound emanating from their PC before? I sure haven't. It's irritating me. It's a constant woooo.......wooooo......wooooo. I notice it more when the processor is being used i.e. benchmarking w/ prime, y-cruncher, realbench. It also comes by when I am playing games.

I'm trying to silence my PC since its unicorn vomit looks good on my desk at night however this noise is really bugging me. I've tried to record it several times however it's so faint that its tough to hear. I have attached a video.

On the video, it occurs at 2, 9, 13, 22, 31 seconds. It's very difficult to exactly pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I've come to the conclusion that perhaps it's the airflow combined with the case that's causing the issue. An alternative idea I'm going with is that it is the PSU since it looked a little damaged when I purchased it since it came pre-installed with the case. It's apparently a pretty crappy one (Elite V3 500W) as stated in that PSU tier list on LTT but this is a weak argument imo.

I dunno, hopefully someone here has encountered this issue and can shed some light on their thoughts.

Here is the video-link: https://streamable.com/vg9yz3

NOTE: Ignore the loud sound, I dunno where that came from, and try to hear the woooo..........woooooo (the lighter noise)

Thanks!

· Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
bad fan bearing maybe?

any chance you could put the phone inside the computer while its recording?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, that was my first thought. I've linked another video w/ the phone inside the case and I'm pretty sure you can still hear it (I feel like I'm going crazy because many others fail to hear the noise!). This time I ran Aida64 stress test. You can almost tell at what point I ran Aida I think since the wooooo sound becomes constant (10 seconds and onward).

Link: https://streamable.com/02jjsr

I'm going to try disabling the fan I believe is the culprit (CPU) if it could be a fan bearing and see what happens.

Thanks!

· Registered
615 Posts
If its coming and going, and then becoming constant when running a stress test, its got to be one of the fans. The revving up and down could be due to how Ryzen CPU's boost up and down rapidly. If you set a manual fan curve in the BIOS, that might solve the issue, it worked for me.

· The last VRM burner
2,852 Posts
Take out the HDD first.

· Rig Advisor
4,985 Posts
Hey guys,

Has anybody heard this sound emanating from their PC before? I sure haven't. It's irritating me. It's a constant woooo.......wooooo......wooooo. I notice it more when the processor is being used i.e. benchmarking w/ prime, y-cruncher, realbench. It also comes by when I am playing games.

I'm trying to silence my PC since its unicorn vomit looks good on my desk at night however this noise is really bugging me. I've tried to record it several times however it's so faint that its tough to hear. I have attached a video.

On the video, it occurs at 2, 9, 13, 22, 31 seconds. It's very difficult to exactly pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I've come to the conclusion that perhaps it's the airflow combined with the case that's causing the issue. An alternative idea I'm going with is that it is the PSU since it looked a little damaged when I purchased it since it came pre-installed with the case. It's apparently a pretty crappy one (Elite V3 500W) as stated in that PSU tier list on LTT but this is a weak argument imo.

I dunno, hopefully someone here has encountered this issue and can shed some light on their thoughts.

Here is the video-link: https://streamable.com/vg9yz3

NOTE: Ignore the loud sound, I dunno where that came from, and try to hear the woooo..........woooooo (the lighter noise)

Thanks!
Are you sure you don't have a miniature train set around the base of your rig? Like we used to do under the Christmas tree?

· Registered
73 Posts
I recently switched a perfectly good 850w psu with another brand simply because with the first one my 3070 had very rhythmic coil whine.
I'm pretty sure i've heard the coils play the canadian anthem once during startup.

Now i can't hear any coils (with a closed case)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.