Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just put another 4850 in my system... And I'm only getting 13500 in 3dmark06. I heard that I should see around 4k more points by adding a 4850?

original score was 12500

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
What resolution and everything did you have it running at? And are the cards running in cross 16x ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timlander View Post
What resolution and everything did you have it running at? And are the cards running in cross 16x ?

They're at 1200x1000 for 3dmark06, and I believe the first card is running at 16x, and the second is at 8x. Is there any way to check?

Also, do I need to install drivers for the new card?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
You need to have them running in crossfire, if they are in cross then they cant be different bandwidths. They can either be x8 or x16. I didn't have to install any drivers. when i popped the 2nd card in and put the bridges on, on the start up of my os it told me it saw another card and enabled crossfire for me. Did it do that with you also? Get cpu-z or gpu-z and you can use either of those to check and see if your crossfire is working and what bandwidth its running at.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timlander
View Post

You need to have them running in crossfire, if they are in cross then they cant be different bandwidths. They can either be x8 or x16. I didn't have to install any drivers. when i popped the 2nd card in and put the bridges on, on the start up of my os it told me it saw another card and enabled crossfire for me. Did it do that with you also? Get cpu-z or gpu-z and you can use either of those to check and see if your crossfire is working and what bandwidth its running at.

I have them running at 8x 2.0 each, but my board is supposed to have the first running at 16x and the second at 8x.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Be sure to enable crossfire.

Are you at stock clocks on the 4850's?

Can you take your 2.7GHz Phenom any higher? (that's a big bottleneck I promise)

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
oh ok, i see what your saying now about that. Iv seen boards that do that, i was thinking something else. well if its like that, then you wont get the full performance increase as you would from a full x16 mobo. That 1k boost may be al that you will get. But get gpu-z so we can be sure your crossfire is enabled.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

View Post

oh ok, i see what your saying now about that. Iv seen boards that do that, i was thinking something else. well if its like that, then you wont get the full performance increase as you would from a full x16 mobo. That 1k boost may be al that you will get. But get gpu-z so we can be sure your crossfire is enabled.

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok. Whatever.

I can't get my CPU any higher than 2.6, stable. At least with this motherboard. Man, this motherboard is ****ty.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
GPU-Z http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...-Z_v0.2.8.html

EDIT: also about that bottleneck, It may not be too bad cause im running a quad @ 2.6 and i saw about a 100 fps increase in steam games and almost doubled my 3dmark vantage gpu score from 6xxx to 11xxx. So i would say the bottleneck isnt bad at all and not much to worry about if you cant overclock that cpu anymore.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

View Post

GPU-Z http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...-Z_v0.2.8.html

EDIT: also about that bottleneck, It may not be too bad cause im running a quad @ 2.6 and i saw about a 100 fps increase in steam games and almost doubled my 3dmark vantage gpu score from 6xxx to 11xxx. So i would say the bottleneck isnt bad at all and not much to worry about if you cant overclock that cpu anymore.

I'm using GPU-z. I'm running the cards at 8x 2.0.

What's your 3dmark06 score?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny99
View Post

The 8x will bottleneck it for sure.

I meen on my x2 4850 i get 17000k but thats both at 16x. (X38)

Plus my CPU clock helps the cause.

Set my ram to 4 4 4 15, and cpu to 2.6 ghz, and I'm getting 14100. I guess it's not so bad...

Hey, when I put on the crossfire bridges, do they have to be put on a certain way? I just plugged them in, I thought it was pretty simple. I made the crossfire logos parallel to each other.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

View Post

No doesnt matter which way they are.

Ok, cool.

I'm noticing like, 60% better frame rates in Crysis Warhead.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard you can change the way crossfire works, like which pixels each card does. How do I do that?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifelease
View Post

I heard you can change the way crossfire works, like which pixels each card does. How do I do that?

You can't.

Oh, and 8x 2.0 = 16x 1.1

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by skugpezz
View Post

did you enable crossfire?

Yes. I'm seeing performance gains, but they're very small and not even noticeable sometimes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts