Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has Verizon DSL, and a Wireless-G router and a PCI wireless adapter in the computer I built him.

Now, when setting up wireless with DSL, is it the same setup as with cable? I havn't gone over there yet to see what my no-knowing-what-the-hell-I'm-doing self can figure out, but I figured I would start trying to get some answers before I went over there.

What are some things I need to look for?

They don't have the manuals already, so I need to find the routers IP

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
In order to program the router, you'll need to hook it up to a lined computer. You can't set it up with wireless the first time.

• Rep+
Reactions: Krunk_Kracker

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how all that goes, but now that I re-read my first post, I realize I didn't do a very good job explaining, lol.

They hook up the router to the main computer, and it wont recognise anything, it's totally dead, even after unplugging it, and then resetting it. Nothing seems to work. They said they went into the router properties and and udjusted some things, and it worked for an hour, but the comp on the wireless end wouldn't recognize anything, and then it all stopped working again.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
There's a tiny place to push in with a pencil to totally reset the router. Hook it back up to the lined pc, reset it, and start all over. If you use the router software they give you, there's no way this should prove troublesome. If you run into a problem, PM me because I have a Linksys Wireless G router (Vonage) and Linksys wireless Nic card running on a network with other lined pcs.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker

I know how all that goes, but now that I re-read my first post, I realize I didn't do a very good job explaining, lol.

They hook up the router to the main computer, and it wont recognise anything, it's totally dead, even after unplugging it, and then resetting it. Nothing seems to work. They said they went into the router properties and and udjusted some things, and it worked for an hour, but the comp on the wireless end wouldn't recognize anything, and then it all stopped working again.

Do they have the PPPoE setup for the DSL to connect? Did they do a ipconfig /renew? Do they have some security settings set that is not allowing them to connect? What kind of router is it? Some routers have a reset to default selection in the router config. I suggest putting it back to default and starting over. First setting the PPPoE for the DSL, reboot main computer that is hooked in via CAT5 so it gets an IP from the router. Then configure the wireless with mixed B/G going incase the wireless device is B not G with NO security settings. If it is a new Linksys make sure they do not select the Secure Easy Setup thing on the front of the router or in the interface. Of course reboot the wireless device and scan for networks. Connect. Then set up the security after they know they have a good connection.

Another thing to remember about wireless is the farther away the device the weaker the signal and more dropped connections you will get. A better antenna system or a wireless access point help in this matter.

Hope your primo (cousin in Spanish) gets it going mi amigo.

Es

1 - 7 of 7 Posts