Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a PSU, RAM, and I'm still getting the random reboots. It must be the hard drive, I'm guessing. It is new, and it started after I installed it.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
No, its your CPU, your computer will do that when you CPU is running to hot, to relieve the CPU of stress by trying to cool itself down by restarting.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im at stock speeds and my load temp is 50. not the temps. it does it in game, out of game, idle, its random, its not only under load

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Resent your ehatsink, 50C under load is pretty damn high for a a 3.0GHz Prescott at stock with a Big Typhoon. Try reseating it or doing an AS5 re-app, how much thermal paste did you use? How much did you use? Did you spread it evenly before you put the heatsink on? CPU temps can sometimes flux due to mackground tasks, like auto updating or auto scaning virus software, or even any auto updating program like Spybot S & D, Most firewalls or even Windows update. For some reason, spybot S & D would always lock my computer up due to heat, even when my CPU was running at 50 or so C.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
um, 50C for a pressy is low as ****. on stock cooling i had 65 load, 75 is where thermal throttling begins, this cooler has dropped my temps by 15C, its set pefectly, i used AS5 and did it to the book, its not a temp thing. it didnt do it before with 65 load, its ever since i got my hard drive, i went from an IDE to a SATA and its done it since then.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Did you reformat? Do you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard?
Reformating will probablly fix this, if not your hard drive may be defective.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it was a fresh install on the harddrive (obviously cause it was new) i havent reformated since then though. i updated my bios to most recent from abits site, but like i say i got some new stuff, vid card, CPU (old one was 2.4 northwood) and the hard drive. but the vid card and CPU were fine for about a month then the hard drive was installed. and ever since that install it has done this. ill try reformat i guess.. if it doesnt fix it how could i test the hard drive? it has a 3 year warranty but like i want to deal with a ****** RMA...

UPDATE= I think the format of the drive could be what is causing my reboots and not the drive itself, before that i hadnt reformated in liek 2 years lol and maybe i forgot to update abits drivers? well, they are all being installed now, chipset, everything, the bios was updated before (and i think that stays updated with a format yes??) so we will see, thanks for the help bud

1 - 7 of 7 Posts