Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of building a new, up-to-date computer this year.
Going to DDR3, the newer processors, memory and HDD's etc..
I already have my GTX 470, could get an SLI board and stick another one in there in the future and would open up more possibilities to expand my system.
(I mean.. my micro-atx board only has 1 PCI-E slot! not good.. so If I want to SLI I need to upgrade my system anyway. :L)

I have a case, dvd drive, psu, hdd and graphics card (unless I have to change my PSU as people mention all the time here) can you reccomend me a brand new computer for around £500 that is a good'en for gaming with minor bottleneck?

Thanks guys,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
What do you use it for?
Video rendering? Gaming?
Do you wish to overclock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by StuffStuff1
View Post

Wait for bull dozer..

Get a New PSU today!

I was told to wait for Sandy Bridge :L
I'll always be waiting dude.
I would get a Corsaid AX-850 today if I could, but my current one is fine at the moment from what I know.

Quote:


Originally Posted by starpwnage
View Post

What do you use it for?
Video rendering? Gaming?
Do you wish to overclock?

The uses would be just general use, gaming (crysis warhead and crysis 2 when it is out, just cause 2 etc.)
No I wouldn't conciser overclocking with a brand new system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Well then i would recommended an i5-2500, performs better then the i7-950. The i7-2600 does have 2 threads per core, but it makes little to no difference in gaming.

As for a motherboard, You could go for And Asrock Extreme 4. Its cheap and will do what you need to do. If you dont want asrock you could go for a Asus P8p67.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by starpwnage
View Post

Well then i would recommended an i5-2500, performs better then the i7-950. The i7-2600 does have 2 threads per core, but it makes little to no difference in gaming.

As for a motherboard, You could go for And Asrock Extreme 4. Its cheap and will do what you need to do. If you dont want asrock you could go for a Asus P8p67.

Okay thanks

Taking your and others reccomendations into consideration I have come up with this upgrade, what do you all think? Would it be worth the £600 with price/performance in mind.

- Can I SLI 2x GTX 470's or CrossFire 2x 6850's together with this board?
- Also I noticed how much cheaper DDR3 is to my current DDR2? Why, I don't get it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,383 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DannyTheGamer
View Post

Okay thanks

Taking your and others reccomendations into consideration I have come up with this upgrade, what do you all think? Would it be worth the £600 with price/performance in mind.

- Can I SLI 2x GTX 470's or CrossFire 2x 6850's together with this board?
- Also I noticed how much cheaper DDR3 is to my current DDR2? Why, I don't get it..

I wouldn't get a asrock Mobo either. I have had to many bad experiences with them.

As for why DDR3 is cheaper then DDR2 well..

DDR3 was designed to be cheaper then DDR2. The only reason it used to cost so much was because it was new.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DannyTheGamer
View Post

Okay thanks

Taking your and others reccomendations into consideration I have come up with this upgrade, what do you all think? Would it be worth the £600 with price/performance in mind.

- Can I SLI 2x GTX 470's or CrossFire 2x 6850's together with this board?
- Also I noticed how much cheaper DDR3 is to my current DDR2? Why, I don't get it..

Ci5 2500K CPU ("K" model for easier OCing later when (if) you decide to OC it)

Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard (supports SLI & CF)..

2x2GB of 1800Mhz RAM (CL8 ) or 4x2GB..

Add Another GTX 470 later..

CHEERS..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by StuffStuff1
View Post

I wouldn't get a asrock Mobo either. I have had to many bad experiences with them.

As for why DDR3 is cheaper then DDR2 well..

DDR3 was designed to be cheaper then DDR2. The only reason it used to cost so much was because it was new.

What would you suggest in that case? - I would prefer an ASUS board though.
Is the upgrade above okay would you say? ^
Right.. so DDR2 is better? :L
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Check in THIS REVIEW how Asus P8P67 Pro (and Deluxe) model OC's Ci5 2500K to 4.6GHz with ease (Vcore=1.376V)..

You can't go wrong there..

CHEERS..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by KingT
View Post

Check in THIS REVIEW how Asus P8P67 Pro (and Deluxe) model OC's Ci5 2500K to 4.6GHz with ease (Vcore=1.376V)..

You can't go wrong there..

CHEERS..

I've read up on it too man

I'll take a look at that as well.
Instead of purchasing more RAM for my current system (£70 worth of DDR2) I will purchase part by part gradually and then when I have them all together I'll put them all in at the same time


Good Idea? or should I just leave the full upgrade and buy more RAM and OC my Q8300?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by KingT
View Post

Check in THIS REVIEW how Asus P8P67 Pro (and Deluxe) model OC's Ci5 2500K to 4.6GHz with ease (Vcore=1.376V)..

You can't go wrong there..

CHEERS..

I would go with a 2600K

And contrary to poplular demand the boards are the wrong way to go for a future SLI system

The only two boards right now that can maximize preformance for SLI and CF woulf be the P8P67 WS revolution and the UD7

both have 2x 16 x lanes. There are no others. I just hit the buy button on the the P8P67 WS Revolution

good luck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Witchdoctor
View Post

I would go with a 2600K

And contrary to poplular demand the boards are the wrong way to go for a future SLI system

The only two boards right now that can maximize preformance for SLI and CF woulf be the P8P67 WS revolution and the UD7

both have 2x 16 x lanes. There are no others. I just hit the buy button on the the P8P67 WS Revolution

good luck

PCIE 2.0 x8 is (both PCIE slots would run @ x8 when SLI/CrossFire) still enough for any GPU available today as difference in performance comparing to PCIE 2.0 16x is inegligible..

Yeah 2600K is better (4cores/8threads) but also costs more and 2500K(4cores/4 threads) for everything is more than enough..

CHEERS..
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top