Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
Mine got faster too! I got the opportunity to upgrade my 5M DSL to "up to 7M" for an extra charge. So now I have 6.144 down and 0.896 up.
My condolences.

Isn't it recommended 25Mbps for 4K streaming and 5 Mbps for full HD?

Must be nice. I live in Fort Worth, a city of a million people, and I can only get 50/5 EVER. They said they can never upgrade our speed and that I cannot get any other service. it's ATT Uverse ADSL OR DirectTV satellite (Owned by ATT.)

AFAIK AT&T also has data caps, right?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,967 Posts
I have 1000/1000 from windstream. But it cost me a lot to have them drop a fiber line at my house. Before that i was limited to 50/5. And there is only 1 competitor in town which offers 1000/50 but has data caps. So the install fee was worth it for the unlimited gig. But most people would think twice before paying $1000 for an install fee or more. Even $250 is a lot for most people.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
Must be nice to live in a country that actually knows how to upgrade internet.
I say this all the time in internet comparison threads where people get all envious and stuff. There's no free lunches.

A connection like those that are the norm in Europe or other countries where people are stacked on top of one another like sardines is available here in North America, it just costs more because unlike those said countries were not stacked on top of one another like sardines. A price of a house here might get you a flat in some of those countries, we just have to spend the difference on a really expensive internet connection if we want the best of both worlds much like they will pay out the rear if they want something bigger than a flat. I'd say here in North America we probably end up at a net gain even after considering the really expensive internet connection.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
I know my rural Comcast connection is nothing special but dayum, I was d/ling all the seasons of some anime last night (like 36 GB) and was shocked at how fast it was going! I got around 20 MB's per second and had the whole thing in less than half an hour! I rarely pay attention to my d/l speeds as I usually just queue crap to d/l and then leave the computer to it for later, but I was actually waiting to watch it so I hung around for a bit. I dunno, I feel like my mind is still stuck in the mindset of the 2000's where a song would take 10 min to d/l, so the reality that my $70/mo connection now gets me literally over a hundred HOURS of HD video in 30 min is crazy to me!

Eh, nvm, I'm just rambling at this point...

(EDIT - Just realized the episodes are only 480p so not HD, but still look OK)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I know my rural Comcast connection is nothing special but dayum, I was d/ling all the seasons of some anime last night (like 36 GB) and was shocked at how fast it was going! I got around 20 MB's per second and had the whole thing in less than half an hour! I rarely pay attention to my d/l speeds as I usually just queue crap to d/l and then leave the computer to it for later, but I was actually waiting to watch it so I hung around for a bit. I dunno, I feel like my mind is still stuck in the mindset of the 2000's where a song would take 10 min to d/l, so the reality that my $70/mo connection now gets me literally over a hundred HOURS of HD video in 30 min is crazy to me!

Eh, nvm, I'm just rambling at this point...

(EDIT - Just realized the episodes are only 480p so not HD, but still look OK)

I know the feeling. This thread made me think back a bit of when I was on dial-up using American Online trials that came in the mail or downloading a file and watching it at peak at 6 kbps lol.

I've always paid about $50-60 a month for internet, it's crazy how I was on 56K and have gone to 500 Mbps for roughly the same amount over the years. Google Fiber is just out of my reach locally and is $70 a month for 1 Gbps.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm just happy that we're going somewhere. Personally, I'd be fine with 50Mb down, but I would love a higher upload speed. For some reason, copper broadband providers rather not give you symmetrical speeds, but fiber providers do.

As for the speeds still slower compared to other countries, with some countries only the size of 1 state in the US, of course it'll be easier and cheaper to build out to them, as compared to the select metro cities in the US vs the rural areas around the country.

Now as for the previous post, reason I posted them was because it was the first source I read. Agree with it or not, it was a news post that linked to the actual report which I provided in case some people didn't want to visit the "unfavorable" site. Just trying to be fair.

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
Mine got faster too! I got the opportunity to upgrade my 5M DSL to "up to 7M" for an extra charge. So now I have 6.144 down and 0.896 up.
That's what you get for being a mountain folk.

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,858 Posts
What I meant though is how much better is that internet really? Is it really worth it? Does it really make that much of a difference in terms of usability?

For me, sort of. Most content is hosted overseas so latency is huge no matter what my connection speed to the ISP is like, and maximum download rates are often well under my connection speed too. Only locally cached content or torrents with many seeds can max out my connection. I'm on 100/5. I could run 50/5 without any issue as the only things that would be impacted are things like Steam game downloads.

A connection like those that are the norm in Europe or other countries where people are stacked on top of one another like sardines is available here in North America, it just costs more because unlike those said countries were not stacked on top of one another like sardines.

NA also has horrible (anti-)competition laws protecting telco cartels.

·
uh oh.
5,082 Posts
I recently got fiber (890Mbps/370Mbps average on speedtest for 1Gb/400Mb theoretical speed), coming from 6Mbps... Now even the 100Mbps at work feel slow.
But because I'm not in the U.S., it all came with marginal cost increase. :D

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Damn, some of these speeds are ridiculous. I thought mine was fast. I pay $149.00 a month but have no cap. Dreading moving back to the states after I retire. stupid download caps and insane prices for so little.

Attachments

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,237 Posts
I haven't really felt the need for faster internet. I mean more is always better but for the price, why bother?

I have 25 down/10 up ADSL line, every page loads fast/instantly, never have any issues streaming anything from any of the typical websites, everything auto plays and goes without effort even at max res like 4k.

There's downloads but half the time you're limited by the server and even if you did have some crazy gigabit internet you still wouldn't be able to utilize it's full potential so it would be mostly a waste. 25/10 is also around the max most VPN's support so if I had anything faster I would have to run naked if I wanted to take advantage of it.

My usenet downloads are automated anyway so all the "Linux Distros" are downloading when I'm away or sleeping so everything is already there on the computer when I get back, never been an issue. I run an FTP server and a mail server on my residential line, there's never any issues; people can complete a 10gb download off me in 20 minutes or so. EDIT: The math on that last one makes no sense but I checked my server logs and yea client/server completed the download in 19 minutes, so maybe my ISP is messed up and somehow gave me more upload.

So yea why do I need better internet exactly? I mean if it's free yea sure why not but I don't seem to have any incentive right now. Thing to note is that this is an internet connection for me and me only, if I had 3 kids streaming stuff off tablets, Playstations, 4 phones on the wifi and other stuff it might be different.

If you were a Twitch streamer, you would need considerably faster connections, so yeah... there are uses for such things. Personally I just like having crazy fast speeds. Time is money as they say. :p

·
Mmmm donuts.....
637 Posts
What I meant though is how much better is that internet really? Is it really worth it? Does it really make that much of a difference in terms of usability? Is there something you can do that I can't (something that matters anyway some theoretical anecdote 1%'er situation doesn't really matter) and I am complete debilitated if I tried to do the same thing. Really how often to you download a game and need to play it right there and then and can't wait or schedule the download overnight. Considering it would cost like $200 a month here for a plan like that is it really worth it?

I think I have a pretty advanced/unique setup running servers and all and like I said don't really see how much better it could be, wouldn't be worth a 200% cost increase that's for sure. What does one need to do to be amazed like that with faster internet.

Don't get that first part. As for the VPN's, in order of speed. IP Vanish, Vypr & Mullvad. IP Vanish was the fastest but they got busted for logging so I wont be renewing with them. Vypr gets pretty close to my max depending on the server, really 25/10 is really 23/9 and Vypr gets me around that.

Well i write gaming reviews so being able to download em and play em right away is nice, especially when the key gets sent a couple hours before a game release instead of a couple days. I came from 12/1 to now 950/300. . When there's 3 PCs in the house and one mac that iclouds pretty much constantly, it went from not being able to game online at all because of rubber banding, to having MUCH lower ping, went from 60-80ms to 9ms, not only that, skype quality also became much better. For us here in France the price was IDENTICAL between adsl and fiber so upgrade worth the price, we paid for 300/200 then a year later our ISP changed its plans and speeds so we ended up getting the speed i posted above.

I recently got fiber (890Mbps/370Mbps average on speedtest for 1Gb/400Mb theoretical speed), coming from 6Mbps... Now even the 100Mbps at work feel slow.
But because I'm not in the U.S., it all came with marginal cost increase. :D
Same here, went from bouygues ADSL to Orange fibre and i could never go back.

·
Mmmm donuts.....
637 Posts
Damn, some of these speeds are ridiculous. I thought mine was fast. I pay $149.00 a month but have no cap. Dreading moving back to the states after I retire. stupid download caps and insane prices for so little.
Yea that's crazy, our price is around 68€ so probably something like 77$ in todays exchange rate, with that you get a max of 1gbps/300mbps, depending on the time of day i can get anywhere between 700-950 down and the 300 is always constant. Also get TV with a few UHD channels, landline with free calls to france, canada/us and so on. On top of that i get a mobile 4g plan with 30gb of data. In the US i was paying 180$ for 100/10 and vastly unreliable and that's without the mobile, that was another 70+ or wtv verizon charged at the time. It's still shocking to me how much the US charges especially for higher speeds and no cap, theres countries in Europe that are even cheaper then that, people in Romania pay around 24$ a month for ISP service, assuming that includes tv and landline as well.

·
mfw
8,634 Posts
Yea that's crazy, our price is around 68€ so probably something like 77$ in todays exchange rate, with that you get a max of 1gbps/300mbps
I get 1000/200 for €59 with cable, unlimited phone, and unlimited cellphone with 9.5GB data, but, then again, our average salary is lower than France's...

Fiber is much nicer than simply the speeds alone. The bandwidth at the nodes is so much larger (and the signal so uniform) that latency is always very low and very stable. I wouldn't go back to coax or DSL with similar speeds for half the price.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Recently was upgraded from Charter to AT&T Gigabit. Went from 300/10 to 1000/1000. Only paying $90 a month too. Down from $120.

Attachments

·
Mmmm donuts.....
637 Posts
Recently was upgraded from Charter to AT&T Gigabit. Went from 300/10 to 1000/1000. Only paying $90 a month too. Down from $120.
I had charter in MA, was absolute trash. Glad to see prices are coming down though, 90$ a month isn't bad for 1/1.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had charter in MA, was absolute trash. Glad to see prices are coming down though, 90$ a month isn't bad for 1/1.
Charter was awful at first. They fixed it and ran well for me. Depends on your location and how many people are on the node. Fiber is way better than coax for sure though.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Our upgrade was a bit larger, from 3 to 7, but I don't think we've ever seen more than 6.9mbps. In a town of 300 I think we're out of luck.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,392 Posts
Pretty glad with my 1000/750 line with Bell at CAD39 (USD29) per month. It's nice that it's FTTH and the backbone is also fibre, and not cable.

It's a rather big change from 3/0.75 ADSL for around CAD79/mo that I had before :eek:

21 - 40 of 75 Posts