Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my G7 alot and i wouldnt even look for another mouse other than its having some issues.

So what is out there for wirelss gaming mice like my G7?

Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wireless? I'd say G602 and G700s (They don't look like the G7 but they're probably the best wireless mice out there)
Wired: G502, G402 and G400s (They would look/feel similar to the G7)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the G700, but the battery life seems like crap. The G7 is nice because you can just swap batteries out from the charging dock, so i never have to worry about dead batteries. I also hear the grips stink on the G700. Any input on any of this?

I play many different games like COD's and Star Crafts and GTA's. I have been very happy with my G7, maybe beacuse im ignorant to what is out there and what great mice feel like. So im worried about not liking the "short" battery life f the G700 or the texture. If someone that had one woudl say that they had both and are compareable i would probably pull the trigger on it now.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BURNS331 View Post

I like the G700, but the battery life seems like crap. The G7 is nice because you can just swap batteries out from the charging dock, so i never have to worry about dead batteries. I also hear the grips stink on the G700. Any input on any of this?

I play many different games like COD's and Star Crafts and GTA's. I have been very happy with my G7, maybe beacuse im ignorant to what is out there and what great mice feel like. So im worried about not liking the "short" battery life f the G700 or the texture. If someone that had one woudl say that they had both and are compareable i would probably pull the trigger on it now.
I can't say much about battery and stuff because I don't really know a lot about wireless mice, but if I'm not wrong the G602 has a pretty good battery life (It says that it can handle 250 hours in performance mode, not sure if it's true though). So, let's wait for the "G602 experts" in this forum to tell their experience and thoughts about it =P

If I were you I would buy a wired mouse, just like the G502 or the G400s. They're more similar to the G7 and they have a better tracking than the G700s or the G602. But if you REALLY need a wireless mouse, I'd say go with the G602.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
If you want wireless the G602 is where it's at.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The only reason I wouldn't recommend the G602 over G700 is if malfunction speed is important to you. The G602's cursor goes all over the place if you swipe it quickly, while the G700's allows for much faster movements. But the G700 has acceleration that can't be disabled as well. If you don't play with a super low sensitivity in-game that requires large, fast swipes across your mousepad to get your cursor where it needs to be, the G602 will be fine. Definitely would recommend it over the G700 if you use a high sensitivity, require a lot of side buttons, and care about long battery life.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvirtualboy View Post

The only reason I wouldn't recommend the G602 over G700 is if malfunction speed is important to you and you don't care about acceleration that can't be disabled. The G602's cursor goes all over the place if you swipe it quickly, while the G700's allows for much faster movements. If you don't play with a super low sensitivity in-game that requires large, fast swipes across your mousepad to get your cursor where it needs to be, the G602 will be fine. Definitely would recommend it over the G700 if you use a high sensitivity, require a lot of side buttons, and care about long battery life.
Think you might have that backwards.

G602's only flaw compared to the G700/s would be the PCS. Everything else is better on the G602 from sensor performance to battery life.

·
Registered
404 Posts
When you consider that a wireless mouse is a trade-off between convenience and absolute performance, the G602 seems like the best option available today in my opinion.
The long battery life, the use of AA batteries rather than a rechargeable li-ion battery, and a hardware switch on the top of the mouse to change between Performance (250/500Hz) and Endurance (125Hz) modes are all great convenience features.

I hate having to charge a mouse, so the option to have a pair of Eneloops charged and waiting is much better than the inconvenience of finding a micro USB cable and connecting it when the battery dies, or having to charge the mouse every night.

Tracking has been mostly fine for me at 750 CPI rather than 250/500, though you can still make it skip with fast movements.
Typically as CPI increases, movement speed decreases though, so it depends on what you normally use for gaming.
I do wish that Logitech had managed to adapt their Darkfield optical sensor to work in a gaming mouse though - since this is a wireless mouse it is not always being used on a desk or a mouse pad, and has a tendency to jitter on bad surfaces while the Darkfield sensor did not.

All of the buttons on the mouse are very well designed and thought-out in my opinion.

The CPI buttons are in such a position that you will never accidentally hit them in a game (I would not recommend remapping them to game functions) but the ease of access and the indicator on the side means that I can quickly drop the rate to 250/500 CPI on the desktop when someone else wants to use the PC. Without acceleration, even 750 CPI is "too fast" for people that are used to trackpads and touchscreens.

And I was surprised to find that having six side buttons is both useful, and that they are so well designed that I have not once made the mistake of pressing the wrong button.
In games, I use buttons 4/5 mapped to the same functions as my other mice which only have a back/forwards button on the side, and I have the rest mapped to Windows functions..
The 7/8 buttons above back/forward are zoom in/out (WIN+ and WIN-) and 6/9 launch the task manager/start screen - yes, I can really map them to the task manager/start screen without interfering with games.

The 500Hz polling and wireless operation are noticeable though. Especially when I switch from using the G602 to one of my DeathAdders, I immediately notice how much more responsive the wired mice are.
It's not that the G602 is bad - it's probably the best wireless mouse that I have used, but it is still obvious to me that it's a wireless mouse.

It is far better than any Bluetooth mouse that I have used though - they typically poll at 125Hz and have huge amounts of latency.
That does not mean that you couldn't make a good Bluetooth mouse though - strangely enough the trackpad on my DualShock 4 is polling at much higher rates than 125Hz.
However all the actual Bluetooth mice that I have used, including so-called Bluetooth "gaming" mice, have polled at 125Hz and had awful cursor movement.

Using a dongle (which can be stored in the battery compartment) for the wireless rather than Bluetooth has its pros and cons.
The downside is that you have just taken up a USB port on a notebook which may only have two ports available when you use this mouse.
The upside is that it makes this a very "portable" mouse, since you don't have to worry about pairing it to the system or downloading drivers.
The fact that it it can run off a single AA battery and has hardware switches for polling rate and CPI really helps with that too. It's great when I have to use an older Mac, since OSX used to hate anything higher than 125Hz polling, and I found that I had to use twice the CPI in OSX as Windows for equivalent mouse movement.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashTV View Post

Think you might have that backwards.

G602's only flaw compared to the G700/s would be the PCS. Everything else is better on the G602 from sensor performance to battery life.
Took me a minute to realize how poorly I worded my post. Edited. Just figured OP should know about the malfunction speeds in case it mattered to him.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is all great info. I appreciate it.

I figured out what was wrong with my G7 i think. Being that its 2.5ghz and so is my router, they where interfering. Moving my router away has seemed to solve the issue. Very wierd as they havent bothered each other for the past 6 years. Well see if this is a solution or only a coincidence.

A G602 may be my best option. Seeing how im currently happy with my G7, the G602 should cover all my basis correct?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Quote:

this is all great info. I appreciate it.

I figured out what was wrong with my G7 i think. Being that its 2.5ghz and so is my router, they where interfering. Moving my router away has seemed to solve the issue. Very wierd as they havent bothered each other for the past 6 years. Well see if this is a solution or only a coincidence.

A G602 may be my best option. Seeing how im currently happy with my G7, the G602 should cover all my basis correct?
It's definitely a great choice for a wireless mouse. Would be a excellent upgrade from a G7 provided the low malfunction speed doesn't bother you.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvirtualboy View Post

It's definitely a great choice for a wireless mouse. Would be a excellent upgrade from a G7 provided the low malfunction speed doesn't bother you.
Atleast 97% of people don't experience malfunction speed issues IMO

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what is the malfunction speed?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Quote:

what is the malfunction speed?
It's basically when you move the mouse so quickly that the sensor can't keep up and the cursor will "malfunction," or stop tracking properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitone View Post

Atleast 97% of people don't experience malfunction speed issues IMO
This is also true. @OP, If you didn't know what it was, you probably don't need to worry about it. Don't let me sway you from getting a G602 if that's what you want, because it's a killer mouse. I just wanted to make sure malfunction wasn't an issue for you.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If you have any interest in gaming on Linux, check out the Roccat Pyra wireless mouse. Roccat is one of the few peripheral manufacturers that has configuration tools available for Linux.

Other than that, I've been quite satisfied with my Logitech G700 for quite some time, now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts