Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

As the topic says, i've got a Q9650, i was planning to go WC, but it seemed to be too big of a bill for me now. Since i spent AU$2000 to get what i have now and would need another approx AU$600-800 to get WC, i was thinking of getting a good CPU cooler. Are there any recommendations that i could have? and if possible from PCcasegear (Link) =)

Edit: Price isn't really much of a problem here. =) as i see the price is below $150 or approx that

Thanks in advance,
Thompson

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
TRUE 120 is still the ultimate cooler even though reviews say different. At a lower price range the S1283 is king

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hey, another Aussie!
AMERICANS, GET AWAY!!! ~Lolz

Hey Man, one thing to do is join up with the Aussie Club (In my sig).
When you ask questions there we can give you links for all the cheap PC stores in AUS.
As for PCCG, either the TRUE or the Noctua NH-U12P will serve you very well.
GtarmanRob has the TRUE so if you join you can talk to him about it.
I have a Noctua NH-C12P and the quality and cooling is amazing. (I didn't have space for the U12P)

Breakdown:
Noctua NH-U12P is a complete package with Heatsink, Fan, Brackets and Thermal Paste.
The Paste and brackets are excellent. (Very Secure and paste is as good as AS5 but not electrically conductive so no chance of shorting.)
The Fan while being silent (~19dBA) only pushes 55cfm. (Decent, but you may want higher if doing an extreme OC)
Comes with 6yr warranty.

TRUE (Black Here) on the other hand will require you to buy a fan, clips and Compound.
Clips Here, Holder Here, AS5 Here, NT-H1 Here.

Some fans:
Scythe SlipStream 1900rpm - 110cfm @ 37dBA
Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm 3000rpm - 133cfm @ 46dBA (Probably needs fan controller)

*Note- The TRUE become an extreme HSF once lapped, the Noctua on the other hand has an excellent base right from the start.
Both will perform extremely well however, you will need to put additional resources to get it to outperform a NH-U12P from the start.
Lapping + Paste + Clips + Fans = $70+ easy (On top of HSF Cost)
Once completed the TRUE will outperform a NH-U12P, but it will take more time and money. I would only advise it if you really need that 3c on a extreme overclock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts