Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading to socket 939 and maybe one of you guys can recommend me a good board with decent oc capabilities and an agp slot. I realise that most boards are comming now with pcie but I have an x850xt which I really don't want to part with.

I think I'd probably get either a 3800+ X2 or a 3800+ 64.

Price range $100 to $150.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Via chipsets won't oc as much as nforce chipsets. So I would go with the epox over the asus.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdub998

Via chipsets won't oc as much as nforce chipsets. So I would go with the epox over the asus.

Looks like a pretty decent board, never really bought epox before. How good are they ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOS---

MSI NEO2 Platnuim

Found a pretty detailed review about this board here

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1652&page=2

Read some good things about this board here but is it me or does it look like the space between the agp and the cpu socket is kinda small. Don't see a big typhoon fitting on there somehow plus a big gfx card like an x850.

·
Banned
173 Posts
i'd say go with a asrock e-sataII sli or dual sata2
that way you have agp support and pcie sli support for later, and moderate overclocking
not to mention its only $80.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 ultra-d, very good agp board, stable and not picky with ram, good bios functions depending on bios version used. HTT stable up to about 338 for me. Getting cheap and you really cant go wrong. I have done some very big overclocks with this board so I cant complain
They are still available in Australia but for you I'm not too sure.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Protius

i'd say go with a asrock e-sataII sli or dual sata2
that way you have agp support and pcie sli support for later, and moderate overclocking
not to mention its only $80.

I guess I'm asking my self how long I"m gonna keep my agp card then, probably another year or 2 before i go to pcie. Might be a good idea to get a board with both pcie and agp then.

Great price but only 3 pci slots....? I'm only using to pci cards now but still would be nice to have a couple more I think.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am using the ASrock Dual SATA2 board and I like it, for the price you cant beat it. I ran my 6800GT AGP card on it for a while and while the driver setup for it all sucked when I got it going it worked like a charm. I recently switched up to pci-e and it works even better, great board overall in my opinion.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuchan

DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 ultra-d, very good agp board, stable and not picky with ram, good bios functions depending on bios version used. HTT stable up to about 338 for me. Getting cheap and you really cant go wrong. I have done some very big overclocks with this board so I cant complain
They are still available in Australia but for you I'm not too sure.

Been searching through google, don't think I'm gonna find that for sale at this point. Looks like a damn good board though.

·
Banned
173 Posts
if you do go with the asrock make sure ur video card is 1.5v cuz thats the only voltage this mobo will take

as for the pci, for me all i have is a sound card but i guess its you opinion

·
Registered
903 Posts
Im with a few of the others in recommending the ASRock Dual SATA II i ran a 9600xt, 9800pro, and a 6600 in the agp slot and it was fine and it is priced well, also it has alot of features and is very future proof, mine has the future cpu port where u can get a board to run a socket 754 cpu on it and i used that in between processors and it all worked fine and overclocking is easy on it as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your input guys, this is the board I"m leaning towards at this point. I guess a lack of pcie doesn't really bother me too much.

LANPARTY UT nF3 ULTRA-D

Couldn't find it at newegg but here it is for sale on another site: (Thanks for the links tuchan).

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_...BA9_DFIX_LP_24

For a processor I'm looking at either an X2 6400+ or a 3800+.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I got my DFI nF3 Ultra D for £73, in the UK. Microdirect is where I got it from. It's an ok board, it has a couple of downsides (Only goes to 3.2v memory in BIOS), but on the DFI forums there is great support, lots of people have it.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
DFI LANPARTY UT NF3 Ultra-D is the way to go in my books. I would never purchase an All-in-One board or a value board as they just do not do what I want.

The closest value board I have ever seen that caught my eye was the Soltek K8TPRO-939 MB but after extensive research I found that the board contained a faulty BIOS that held a broken Fixed Frequency AGP/PCI lock. This is the problem with value boards. The companies just do not spend the time trouble-shooting the boards. Get them ready, pump them out and forget about them.

R

1 - 18 of 18 Posts