Overclock.net banner

Recommend an upgrade for my Pioneer VSX-33

569 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  MrRipfrog
So my 1080p TV finally croaked and I ended up buying an LG OLED C2 to replace it. Now I have a mismatched system that is in dire need of a refresh so I'm looking for a bit of help...

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-33
Speakers (Front L&R): Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3.1
Speakers (Front Center): Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Center
Sub Amp: Velodyne SC-1250
Sub: Velodyne DD15BG

Usage:
Movies/Music/Games (80/15/5)

Note: gaming may increase in the future if I can actually get my hands on a PS5 lol

Features Important to Me:
  • 4k120/8k60 with upscaling and passthrough modes. 8k not as important as 4k.
  • Microphone for speaker tuning
  • HDMI Arc support w/ minimum 4 in/2 out
  • Alexa support
  • Bluetooth/WiFi
  • Some kind of decent surround sound tech (Ex. Dolby Atmos, DTS, etc.) I am super noobish when it comes to this, and pretty much all I know is that there are a ton of options here.
  • Expandability: 7.2+ channel support, is Auro3D worth it?
  • Wireless Speaker support: although I'm not entirely against drilling holes and running wire, having good quality wireless support like MusicCast would be nice.

Receivers I've looked at:
  • Yamaha RX-V6A
  • Yamaha RX-A4A
  • Denon AVR-X2800H
  • Denon AVR-X3800H
  • Marantz Cinema 60
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Senior OCN Member
46,432 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: rusky1

· Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the Denon AVR-X1700H a few months ago for an LG C1 i got for a very good price

Its cheaper than the 2800 and 3800 and can do many of the things the more expensive models can
That one was definitely enticing but unfortunately it comes short in a couple of areas for me:

1. No assistant support (Alexa, Google, Siri). I'd rather not have to buy an Alexa Dot or anything similar.
  2. Big power drop per-channel (80W) compared to my current Pioneer unit (110W). 2800 is in the middle at 95W.

· Registered
9 Posts
I too had the Pioneer VSX-33 which was paired with a Pioneer Elite Plasma tv. When I upgraded to 4k with the LG oled, I was in the same dilemma as yourself.

I ended up going with the Anthem MRX 720. The sound quality blows away the Pioneer. The newer models are now the MRX 740. They are a little pricey but totally worth it in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts