Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need some recommendations for an access point. The router I'm using is the Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500 v2, and I need to extend the WiFi out to my garage. I already have a cable from my modem out to the garage, connected to another access point, but it broke, so I need to replace it. I was looking at one of the Ubiquiti ones, but not sure if that is the best route to go.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
I fix Stuff
5,403 Posts
I currently run a unifi security gateway and an AC lite LR AP. couldn't be happier. The only downside is having to install the unifi controller to configure it but well worth it when it is up and running. also if you go that route i would consider disabling the wifi on the nighthawk and just go with 2 unifi APs with the same SSID so devices don't have to be manually disconnected from 1 ap to go to the next.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I currently run a unifi security gateway and an AC lite LR AP. couldn't be happier. The only downside is having to install the unifi controller to configure it but well worth it when it is up and running. also if you go that route i would consider disabling the wifi on the nighthawk and just go with 2 unifi APs with the same SSID so devices don't have to be manually disconnected from 1 ap to go to the next.
Is there no way to set both my router and the AP to have it switch automatically?Never, looked into it, might go for the getting unifi APs. Any recommendations? Was looking at the UAP-AC-LITE, since it's mostly for surfing the internet and watching videos and whatnot. Not sure if I can justify the UAP-AC-LR.

Also, how is the wireless uplink? With my router now, I have 2 PCs connected to it, a NAS, and another AP connected to it, which is more ports than I have, so I had to connect a gigabit switch to it for more hard wire connections. Was thinking about getting one to see if how it is, and get another later on if I like it.

Thanks

·
I fix Stuff
5,403 Posts
Is there no way to set both my router and the AP to have it switch automatically?Never, looked into it, might go for the getting unifi APs. Any recommendations? Was looking at the UAP-AC-LITE, since it's mostly for surfing the internet and watching videos and whatnot. Not sure if I can justify the UAP-AC-LR.

Also, how is the wireless uplink? With my router now, I have 2 PCs connected to it, a NAS, and another AP connected to it, which is more ports than I have, so I had to connect a gigabit switch to it for more hard wire connections. Was thinking about getting one to see if how it is, and get another later on if I like it.

Thanks
Because your router is not unifi brand it doesn't have the needed software/firmware to communicate with the unifi AP to tell it to tell devices when to switch over to the router or AP. This is why i suggested soley running the unifi AP or several.

Also the only devices I have wireless right now are my phone, my Fiance's phone, and my HTPC so I haven't pushed much traffic through it but to watch movies on the htpc they are sourced from a network drive so they do that just fine, my HTPC only has an older dual band card so it can't take advantage of the AC at all. The AC lite is a nice little budget AP to get you started with decent range as well. We have deployed several of these to a local school to use for 25-30 chromebooks each and we haven't had any trouble so far with them.

Bottom line is if you're only looking to web surf and stream the AC lite is probably your best bang for buck option, just keep in mind what I said about having devices switch back and forth if you leave the wifi on the nighthawk on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because your router is not unifi brand it doesn't have the needed software/firmware to communicate with the unifi AP to tell it to tell devices when to switch over to the router or AP. This is why i suggested soley running the unifi AP or several.

Also the only devices I have wireless right now are my phone, my Fiance's phone, and my HTPC so I haven't pushed much traffic through it but to watch movies on the htpc they are sourced from a network drive so they do that just fine, my HTPC only has an older dual band card so it can't take advantage of the AC at all. The AC lite is a nice little budget AP to get you started with decent range as well. We have deployed several of these to a local school to use for 25-30 chromebooks each and we haven't had any trouble so far with them.

Bottom line is if you're only looking to web surf and stream the AC lite is probably your best bang for buck option, just keep in mind what I said about having devices switch back and forth if you leave the wifi on the nighthawk on.
Thanks. I will most likely get a second one and disable the WiFi on the router just for that unifi AP to make life simpler a little bit down the line. I did have a question about the wireless uplink feature it had, but then when I thought about it, it only had an ethenet port on it, so might as well connect it to the router. Was hoping to have one less cable to my router using the wireless uplink, so I have fewer going through a cheap switch I added for more ports.

Most of the things people will do on it is surf the internet and stream videos online. Anything else I need for more is hardwired to the router since it's near each other.

Thanks

·
I fix Stuff
5,403 Posts
Thanks. I will most likely get a second one and disable the WiFi on the router just for that unifi AP to make life simpler a little bit down the line. I did have a question about the wireless uplink feature it had, but then when I thought about it, it only had an ethenet port on it, so might as well connect it to the router. Was hoping to have one less cable to my router using the wireless uplink, so I have fewer going through a cheap switch I added for more ports.

Most of the things people will do on it is surf the internet and stream videos online. Anything else I need for more is hardwired to the router since it's near each other.

Thanks
If by wireless uplink you mean running the AP without running a cable? probably not an option with the AC lites and even if it was I would not recommend it at all.
The APs come with a POE injector, (power over ethernet) basically you plug power in by your router, run 1 short ethernet cable from your switch/router to the injector, and then another cat5/6 cable from the injector to the AP. This gives it the advantage of being able to place the AP wherever you can run a simple ethernet cable. The injector is labeled as well so you shouldn't screw it up. Please remember not to plug the POE powered cable into a non POE device. Doing so would have high potential to let the smoke out of whatever device is on the other end.

If you're wanting reliable as well don't do any wireless repeating, wireless bridging, etc. just go all hard wired from router>switch>injector>AP or router>injector>AP

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If by wireless uplink you mean running the AP without running a cable? probably not an option with the AC lites and even if it was I would not recommend it at all.
The APs come with a POE injector, (power over ethernet) basically you plug power in by your router, run 1 short ethernet cable from your switch/router to the injector, and then another cat5/6 cable from the injector to the AP. This gives it the advantage of being able to place the AP wherever you can run a simple ethernet cable. The injector is labeled as well so you shouldn't screw it up. Please remember not to plug the POE powered cable into a non POE device. Doing so would have high potential to let the smoke out of whatever device is on the other end.

If you're wanting reliable as well don't do any wireless repeating, wireless bridging, etc. just go all hard wired from router>switch>injector>AP or router>injector>AP
I figured that might be the case. Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Nighthawk X4 R7500 is a high performance wireless device, it will push more throughput when needed.

Unifi is the way to go. I push that gear on all my clients, even have the AC-PRO in the office. Throughput is something that it was never designed for, dependability is the key here. On a 2x2 wireless connection to the AC-Pro you are still looking at around max 60MB/s (not mbps but MB/s). Which is still pretty good for wireless but I've gotten better with a R7000. Thing is a R7000 or even a R7500 just isn't going to handle having many clients on a single ap like the unifi AP would, and the controller can actually handle client's moving between them with a single ssid. Wireless handoff 802.11r. Otherwise the client is forced to handle it, and they tend to not let go unless the signal is weak.

I honestly would just use two different SSID's in that case, which is what I do at home. As I too have a unifi AP-Lite and a R7000 for high speed wireless bandwidth for large transfers over wireless.

Not the biggest fan of their Unifi gateways, They are still as feature packed when using the CLI. But the GUI side is no where near is complete as the Edge routers. But I'm sure over time those will get better, as I'm a fan of the unifi platform.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts