Overclock.net banner

Recommend DFI mobo

890 Views 17 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Krunk_Kracker
Ok guys im going with the bandwagon again im going to buy a new mobo so i can finally reach my goal of 3.0ghz with my opteron, now the question is which DFI mobo should i get? i have no plans in buying a new ram and hard drive.

Whats the difference between the ultra-d and expert? would both support my geil value ram pc-3200?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,126 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shortfuse

I have the money for a mobo, what i dont have is the extra upgrade that i will need to make this mobo work as i want it to. and so far i have seen issues with dfi expert thru dfistreets, and with my bad experience with the dfi nf3 mobo just dont wanna spend extra money on a mobo that will give me so much issues. I narrowed my choices to sli-dr and ultra-d question is this i've heard u have to use the orange slot for some RAMs, is this for all the dfi modo? or just the sli-dr expert? cuz the problem with using orange slot is im using xp120 so the first or initial orange slot is too close so chances are i wont be able to use that slot.

It's not necessary to use the orange slots with the sli-dr or ultra-d, it's just recommended to use them with TCCD RAM. The yellow slots will work fine though. I'm almost positive about this, someone correct me if I'm wrong/

· Registered
2,126 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shortfuse

Now my next question, i have some important work files on my hard drive, if i get the sli-dr or ultra-d can i boot and enter windows without reformating so i can save some of my files first?

Probably. My guess is all you'd have to do is re-activate Windows. But don't take your chances, back up the files to disc.

· Registered
2,126 Posts
If you make a drastic hardware change(changing motherboards is pretty drastic), you will need to reactivate Windows. All you really have to do is put in your serial again. I think it should work, since you'll have all the same hardware except the mobo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.