Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR version: does anyone know any other keyboards(mechanical preferably) like this one(small space bar, a lot of keys around the space bar)?
A4Tech X7-G800V

I want to buy a keyboard with small space bar(the smaller the better, personally, I would prefer space bar to be as small as CTRL or ALT keys), and with keys all around the space bar, like on the screenshot above. I would move controls from WASD-based layout to YGHJ-based layout. It would allow me to press far more-more buttons with my pinky and my thumb, because space is much smaller and there are many more buttons in the areas.

How did I come up with this? At some point of time I discovered TheCore layout from Starcraft 2(I don't play SC2 myself):
TheCore layout

It suggests to switch from WASD-based layout to JIOP-based layout, because it's more ergonomic and players are able to reach more buttons with their fingers in general, and with their thumb and pinky in particular.

So I thought:"Why not adapt this approach for fast-paced first person shooter games I play?" And so far I came up with this layout:

I based it on IJKL(because I use a keyboard with big space bar) and now I am able to reach more buttons in general but the most important thing that I can reach more buttons with my pinky and my thumb. But it can get better with a proper keyboard for gaming. I never really understood how all of these mainstream mechanical keyboards for $100-200 position themselves as 'gaming' when you can't reach any more keys on them then on default membrane keyboard for $1.

Is there any better keyboards(mechanical, maybe more ergonomic than this one) than this A4Tech X7-G800V? It doesn't have to position itself as 'gaming' but to just actually be better to help to achieve what I'm trying to achieve here. Here's some example of what I'm talking about(MIY variant I found googling):

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
KEYBOARD KONNOISSEUR
1,572 Posts
Yep, the JIS layout (with small spacebar) is really the only thing I can think of that they make that would be close to what you need.

You could also look into something more custom but I wouldn't know where to start. The Ergodox (pictured above) is one of the only custom PCBs that I know they make or possible get your hands on TechKeys "Enabler" but they are almost always sold out.

https://techkeys.us/products/the-enabler

And build a custom case and plate if you really want to get into it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think for now I'll just stick to A4Tech X7-G800V, I just ordered it today.
And later on when I'm passionate enough, I'll order something like this G510s:

Imagine how practical, ergonomic and sexy this g510s with small space bar would be, with that A4Tech's buttons under the space mod:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Make one of your own.
Yes, this idea crossed my mind. But I don't really know anything about 3D modeling and about pickling PCBs. To properly make this keyboard I have in mind I'd have to read about how to make 3D models for 3D pinter, then design a keyboard, then print and assemble all of that.
If I did all of that, I should probably open a company at that point of time and start selling that keyboard.
biggrin.gif

While doing my research, I noticed, I'm not the only one who was trying to find this kind of keyboard, it's just they're very rare and hard to get.

·
KEYBOARD KONNOISSEUR
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaGGin View Post

Yes, this idea crossed my mind. But I don't really know anything about 3D modeling and about pickling PCBs. To properly make this keyboard I have in mind I'd have to read about how to make 3D models for 3D pinter, then design a keyboard, then print and assemble all of that.
If I did all of that, I should probably open a company at that point of time and start selling that keyboard.
biggrin.gif

While doing my research, I noticed, I'm not the only one who was trying to find this kind of keyboard, it's just they're very rare and hard to get.
plus the fact that it would most likely end up costing you a ton of money to design and craft a custom plate and case properly. There is definitely a market for something like this but it's not that big, I personally would like to see a quality keyboard that has expansions that can be added. Like a 60% ish keyboard where you can add on a numpad to either size, or like another row that attaches at the bottom or top, something along those lines.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you want extra thumb buttons you dont need a new keyboard, just change your keybind to something like IJKL instead of WASD, FN can be an issue though but if your board is programable like a custom 60% you can put FN wherever you like (caps lock best place imo)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts