Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I was thinking of changing my new CPU cooler when I get the Phenom II 555BE when it comes out. I will probably be swapping my mobo and memory to DDR3 as well. In the meantime, of course I am an overclocking enthusiasts like most of you.

Anyways, as you know, overclocking will require a second-party CPU cooler. I have been looking at the XIGMATEK Dark Knight vs. the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler vs. XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler. Is there such big difference between them? They all look very similar so I don't get what's with all the different model names. What are the pros and cons about these?

The Xiggy appeals to me a lot because its a cheap cooler and its under the $40 budget. As you know, I am using an Antec 300 case, so I also would like to know if they will fit comfortably in the case.

Thanks any suggestion and help you can provide.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I am unsure about it fitting, but the Dark Knight is a wonderful cooler. I've seen many positive reviews and especially in the performance/dollar category it wins. Hopefully someone on here with a similar setup can comment on it fitting.

• Rep+
Reactions: raisethe3

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
The order of performance would go

Dark Knight
Original S1283
S1284 EE

The Dark Knight is the best because it comes with the best stock fan on it.

The Original S1283 beats the S1284EE as it has 3 8mm heatpipes, which work better than the S1284's 4 6mm heatpipes. They both come with a decent stock fan, but the Dark Knight's fan is the best.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'd pay attention to the type of mounting you can get away with with an AM2+/AM3 platform.

I.e, Thor's Hammer (Xiggie), like the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme, use a clip in the same way as the stock cooler does. This means you only get to orientate the heatsink one way, (i think) blowing air up/down rather than out the back of the case.

I'm intrigued to see what people suggest, as I'm in a similar position - but I need to be able to orientate the heatsink to push air out the back of the case, not top.

For pure value though, I hear nothing but great things about the Dark Knight.

EDIT: I could be wrong about the orientation thing, if I am, correct me and I'll ninja edit the incorrect info out. That said, it is something worth considering depending on the airflow in your case imo.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiTalent
View Post

I'd pay attention to the type of mounting you can get away with with an AM2+/AM3 platform.

I.e, Thor's Hammer (Xiggie), like the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme, use a clip in the same way as the stock cooler does. This means you only get to orientate the heatsink one way, (i think) blowing air up/down rather than out the back of the case.

I'm intrigued to see what people suggest, as I'm in a similar position - but I need to be able to orientate the heatsink to push air out the back of the case, not top.

For pure value though, I hear nothing but great things about the Dark Knight.

EDIT: I could be wrong about the orientation thing, if I am, correct me and I'll ninja edit the incorrect info out. That said, it is something worth considering depending on the airflow in your case imo.

You are 100% right.

Best option right now for AMD budget users would be the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, beats the Xiggies (Besides Thor's Hammer) by a few degree's and has a nice MIR + Free shiping.

It will also blow out the back of your cas.e

·
Registered
892 Posts
go for the darkknight.

• Rep+

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my case exhaust the rear fan and the top fan in the back. So I guess it could be mounted either way. Wouldn't make a difference would it?

But I was mainly thinking that the air should flow to the exhaust rear fan because it would suit better airflow direction. I don't know really...

Thanks for all the answers guys. Rep'd everyone.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
no one suggested mugen 2? u have to change the mounting base, but it performs better than my core contact freezer
i tested it both with same fan

didn't change sig yet

·
!
17,294 Posts
For your budget, the Mugen 2 is the best option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post

Dark Knight
Original S1283
S1284 EE

The Original S1283 beats the S1284EE as it has 3 8mm heatpipes, which work better than the S1284's 4 6mm heatpipes. They both come with a decent stock fan, but the Dark Knight's fan is the best.
The 1284's heatpipes are 8mm. (Hence the name 1284)

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn, that thing is huge! No way, I might break my board putting it on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by getbigtony
View Post

no one suggested mugen 2? u have to change the mounting base, but it performs better than my core contact freezer
i tested it both with same fan

didn't change sig yet

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

Dark Knight
Original S1283
S1284 EE

Or you could use a Aluminum Gum wrapper from some Juicy Fruit Chewing Gum cause those Processors Run Cool even when overclock to 4. Ghz. The Corsair H-50 is a killer little cheap water unit.

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by B4Shock
View Post

prolimatech megahalem or TRUE 120...no other cpu cooler compares!

Can You Say OVERKILL?
.... I knew you could.

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Geez, the Megahalem is huge! I have it down to the Mugen 2 and the Dark Knight. Little bit leaning towards the Dark Knight.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Go with the Mugen 2. From what I've seen, it performs a bit better than the DK. It's easier to mount, too.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
The advantage of the Mugen 2 is you can orient it to blow out the back of your case. Dark Knight requires a custom AM2 mount to do that.

Mugen 2 is friggin' huge though!

If you have a big budget, the best aircooler is now the the Noctua D14. Really gigantic btw.

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you serious? What do they include in the box?

And yes, Mugen 2 is frickin' huge. That's why I am a bit against it. I want something compact, not really small, but not really big. Something that will fit in my case and provide good airflow when overclocking the new CPU.

I forgot I got tall ram heatspreaders as well. Will that interfere? This is my ram.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riou View Post
The advantage of the Mugen 2 is you can orient it to blow out the back of your case. Dark Knight requires a custom AM2 mount to do that.

Mugen 2 is friggin' huge though!

If you have a big budget, the best aircooler is now the the Noctua D14. Really gigantic btw.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisethe3
View Post

Are you serious? What do they include in the box?

And yes, Mugen 2 is frickin' huge. That's why I am a bit against it. I want something compact, not really small, but not really big. Something that will fit in my case and provide good airflow when overclocking the new CPU.

I forgot I got tall ram heatspreaders as well. Will that interfere? This is my ram.

They'd include the bracket-thing.. similar to that of the stock cooler, which will use the same latching points on the standard retention bracket/backplate-thing I believe. Pretty much means you'll only be able to orientate the cooler in 1 direction.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/175...er/index5.html
The bracket is above the X-plate (Which is the 1366 mount I believe). On the next page you can see an installed pic on a mobo - The AM2/3 Mounting bracket would mean the cooler would be in the other direction than that shown in the pic.

Sometimes the 2 closest DIMM slots can get obstructed by massive coolers but I think you're probably okay if you use the 2 farthest, I don't think any cooler is going to reach them normally(apart from maybe the new noctua or a V10).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts