Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
If just had a discussion where I found out my new cpu isn't supported.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1585634/new-cpu-hugely-unstable#post_24741369

current set up:

asrock 880g extreme 3 mobo
radeon R9 290
500 deathstar
ocz 120gb ssd
crucial 240gb ssd
2x4gb g skill rip jaw ddr3 1333
phennom 955 BE

Has been very good and I was very shocked to find out how old it is. but is lacking when I play fallout 4.

I'm looking for a good upgrade that will last me another 5 years or so.

Normally I'm an amd man as I like the value for money.
But I'm aware things may have changed. From what iv seen intel have pushed ahead and amd havent as much. But in haven't really been paying much attention.

Normally spend around £ 70 - 80 on a mobo and £100 to 160 on cpu but I'm willing to go up to 2500. I have ddr3 ram that I can use for now and get that latter

·
Registered
57 Posts
This will suit you.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£173.52 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£61.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £235.51

It will be a significant upgrade, however if you want to up your budget, about 250 Pounds will get you a 4790k which is going to surely last you for a long time.

AMD has nothing to offer if you are talking about performance above an i3.

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
whatever you choose, go with intel.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/knMsVn
that's around $230 pounds, you've got a nice aftermarket cooler included (very good one for the price), an i7 CPU (well, technically a Xeon but practically it's i7 only $60 less than 4790/4770). I went with 4c/8t CPU with locked multiplier cause: 4690K is great, but to OC you need a better board and certainly at least some $60 cooling to run +4.5GHz, cause Haswell is freakin hot. Instead you've got an i7 equivalent that'll certainly surpass stock 4690K and give an oc'd 4690K a run for the money without expensive cooling or a overclocking board. I paired it up with $30 Thermalright Macho 120, it's all you need for this CPU to stay relatively cool at stock, it's quiet with a 600-1300 PWM fan, looks nice and Thermalright is a brand to be trusted when it comes to CPU cooling.

edit: seeing how you had compability issues with your old mobo/cpu I swapped that B85 (here's the one) board for a h97 one. this'll come a little more pricey but still within 250 pounds. The reason being the Xeon I used in the build is Haswell refresh, and the B85 chipset is still 8-series. The CPU is supported and should work like a charm on the B85 board, unlike your FX6, but whatever the heck, you said 250 pounds so you can have a H97 board from Asus
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

whatever you choose, go with intel.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/knMsVn
that's around $230 pounds, you've got a nice aftermarket cooler included (very good one for the price), an i7 CPU (well, technically a Xeon but practically it's i7 only $60 less than 4790/4770). I went with 4c/8t CPU with locked multiplier cause: 4690K is great, but to OC you need a better board and certainly at least some $60 cooling to run +4.5GHz, cause Haswell is freakin hot. Instead you've got an i7 equivalent that'll certainly surpass stock 4690K and give an oc'd 4690K a run for the money without expensive cooling or a overclocking board. I paired it up with $30 Thermalright Macho 120, it's all you need for this CPU to stay relatively cool at stock, it's quiet with a 600-1300 PWM fan, looks nice and Thermalright is a brand to be trusted when it comes to CPU cooling.

edit: seeing how you had compability issues with your old mobo/cpu I swapped that B85 (here's the one) board for a h97 one. this'll come a little more pricey but still within 250 pounds. The reason being the Xeon I used in the build is Haswell refresh, and the B85 chipset is still 8-series. The CPU is supported and should work like a charm on the B85 board, unlike your FX6, but whatever the heck, you said 250 pounds so you can have a H97 board from Asus
biggrin.gif
Xeon is definitely much better value for money, but remember the i7 4790k comes clocked at 4 Normal/4.4 Turbo Ghz out of the box. A lot of people don't even want to go above that.
The factory OC is probably the best thing about it and can even work nicely with a Cheaper board and chipset.

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3venom View Post

Xeon is definitely much better value for money, but remember the i7 4790k comes clocked at 4 Normal/4.4 Turbo Ghz out of the box. A lot of people don't even want to go above that.
The factory OC is probably the best thing about it and can even work nicely with a Cheaper board and chipset.
Yeah I was comparing to 4690K not 4790K. 4790K OEM is his whole budget at nearly $400.
btw I run 4790K at 4.4GHz on all cores, that 4.4GHz turbo clock out of the box is great for someone like me, who likes overclocking and wants it done is 4 seconds
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:

Yeah I was comparing to 4690K not 4790K. 4790K OEM is his whole budget at nearly $400.
btw I run 4790K at 4.4GHz on all cores, that 4.4GHz turbo clock out of the box is great for someone like me, who likes overclocking and wants it done is 4 seconds
biggrin.gif
I think he meant he can do 250 pounds for the CPU and 60 -70 for Mobo. the 4790k is around 256 pounds on uk.pcpartpicker .

The Xeon is a little bit more than the i5 and i would take the Xeon anyday because HT is amazing.
But with the cooler and nicer Mobo his budget goes to 325 pounds, might as well get a 4790k and stock cooler and a standard z97 board i think.

just add "uk." or "ca." to your existing pc part picker list and it will show you different prices/currencies.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3venom View Post

I think he meant he can do 250 pounds for the CPU and 60 -70 for Mobo. the 4790k is around 256 pounds on uk.pcpartpicker .

The Xeon is a little bit more than the i5 and i would take the Xeon anyday because HT is amazing.
But with the cooler and nicer Mobo his budget goes to 325 pounds, might as well get a 4790k and stock cooler and a standard z97 board i think.

just add "uk." or "ca." to your existing pc part picker list and it will show you different prices/currencies.
no
total of 250

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
xeon sounds good
cant afford an i7 really

the one mentioned is over 200 in the uk though. dosent leave much for a mobo

iv got a decent cooler at the moment but i think iv lost the intel bracket. i may treat myself to a hydro. theres a h100 on ebay for cheep atm

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnosh View Post

xeon sounds good
cant afford an i7 really

the one mentioned is over 200 in the uk though. dosent leave much for a mobo

iv got a decent cooler at the moment but i think iv lost the intel bracket. i may treat myself to a hydro. theres a h100 on ebay for cheep atm
actually if you can afford a 240mm CLC you should go for 4690K and try for 4.7GHz at least. Single core performance is still the no.1 factor for buying a gaming CPU nowadays. At 4.8GHz 4690K will smoke that Xeon in most games, multi-threaded ones should also run faster with that sort of overclock.
BTW you're talking about a new h100, aren't you? Don't buy a used CLC, don't let the price lure you. It's better to spend it on a new, quality air cooler: Heligon HE01 for example, the fan on the cooler is one mean badass
biggrin.gif

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
AiO is not really "water cooling". Water cooling is a whole custom loop. AiO's like I said (and posted a chart) are not really better than dual towers with 140mm fan(s). Instead of buying a quiet and reliable air cooler you wanna go with a loud AiO with 3 months warranty? I wouldn't do that. Z9 can take a 165mm cooler. Silverstone H01 is 164mm, it ought to fit.

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
Quote:

Ok. No water cooling for Josh
frown.gif

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
If it's just for the sake of having your CPU cooled by something that uses water and radiators like in a loop then yes. but frankly that 3 month warranty is like no warranty, new AiO's usually have 5-6 years. Do it if that makes you happy but really if this starts leaking or the pump gives up in spring you'll not be covered.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Quote:

Ok. No water cooling for Josh
frown.gif

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
If it's just for the sake of having your CPU cooled by something that uses water and radiators like in a loop then yes. but frankly that 3 month warranty is like no warranty, new AiO's usually have 5-6 years. Do it if that makes you happy but really if this starts leaking or the pump gives up in spring you'll not be covered.
Yeah fair enough. I'll decide on that latter.

How easy is it to do a good overclock on the 4690?

When I do an overclock I only normally push it to the point where it needs voltage and leave it about there.

I'm hesitant about buying a cpu on the bass is that I'll need to overclock it

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
well to get to 4.5GHz you will need some voltage. On stock you might do 4.2GHz-4.4GHz if lucky. But don't worry if you have to use some volts, your stock should be in the 1.2-1.25v range and you can go 1.35v safely, some people say that even 1.4v is really safe. Considering you're gonna buy a $100 cooler (well, for a discount but still) I'd advise to push further than stock voltage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

well to get to 4.5GHz you will need some voltage. On stock you might do 4.2GHz-4.4GHz if lucky. But don't worry if you have to use some volts, your stock should be in the 1.2-1.25v range and you can go 1.35v safely, some people say that even 1.4v is really safe. Considering you're gonna buy a $100 cooler (well, for a discount but still) I'd advise to push further than stock voltage.
ok
by the sounds of it i can get a decent overclock on that chip fairly easy
i may considering getting a cheaper cooler and adding a couple of fans that iv got onto the fan controller for use when gaming/stress tests
i have headphones on when gaming so its not a concern really. i turn up the GPU fan anyway and thats a bit noisey

is the i5-6500 any good?

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
Quote:

ok
by the sounds of it i can get a decent overclock on that chip fairly easy
i may considering getting a cheaper cooler and adding a couple of fans that iv got onto the fan controller for use when gaming/stress tests
i have headphones on when gaming so its not a concern really. i turn up the GPU fan anyway and thats a bit noisey

is the i5-6500 any good?
considering it runs 3900MHz out of the box then 4200MHz is nothing special. K versions used to be better. Also do not be afraid of voltage as long as temps are safe (sub-90 degrees in stress testing). +1GHz is well possible and if you manage to do it at about 1.35v and while gaming it is under 75 degrees then it's completely safe.
What GPU are you running these days anyway? What resolution and refresh?
Well, were I in your shoes I'd get that 4690K with a stock cooler, skip any CPU cooling purchase and get yourself a nice Z97 board (possibly one listed as tier two class A here, good price/quality ratio http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2383187/motherboard-tier-list-z97-chipset.html). Save up for a nice AiO, preferably a 240mm or 280mm one, then OC as much as you can, the goal being +1GHz (4x4.9GHz)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

considering it runs 3900MHz out of the box then 4200MHz is nothing special. K versions used to be better. Also do not be afraid of voltage as long as temps are safe (sub-90 degrees in stress testing). +1GHz is well possible and if you manage to do it at about 1.35v and while gaming it is under 75 degrees then it's completely safe.
What GPU are you running these days anyway? What resolution and refresh?
Well, were I in your shoes I'd get that 4690K with a stock cooler, skip any CPU cooling purchase and get yourself a nice Z97 board (possibly one listed as tier two class A here, good price/quality ratio http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2383187/motherboard-tier-list-z97-chipset.html). Save up for a nice AiO, preferably a 240mm or 280mm one, then OC as much as you can, the goal being +1GHz (4x4.9GHz)
this seems like a good plan. i will wait to see what others recommend. 2nd opinions and all that
the responsiveness from that speed would be nice.

im running a 9x r290 on 1920x1080 screen

im used to AMD where everyone is saying bellow 60 deg lol.
my current cooler is pritty beasty and keeps my 125w phenom 955 at 52deg on full stress test. it would probably handle the new chip just fine if i could fined the intel bracket for it.
i may have to 3d print one lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts