Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a QNIX QX2710, and it's been a really great monitor for the price. It has a few drawbacks tho, and I'm wondering if there's a replacement out there that would be worth the upgrade. Issues with the QX2710 include a few small scratches on the screen made by me when cleaning it, some small spots that won't come off, significant backlight bleed on the bottom bezel, and a couple stuck pixels. Plus I'm just hoping there's better color/blacks out there.

Here's what I'm looking for:

27"
2560x1440
IPS
Ideally more than 60hz refresh rate, but I don't want to pay a premium for this and it's the only spec that's negotiable. My QX2710 has been @96hz for it's whole lifetime, and will go as high as 114hz
As short response time as possible, this is more important than refresh rate, at least to my perception
Really good color and blacks

Thanks for your time

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,150 Posts
if you want good blacks then go VA, not IPS. IPS is always going to look muted in comparison.

·
To The Game
7,612 Posts
if you want good blacks then go VA, not IPS. IPS is always going to look muted in comparison.
Yeah but va have naturally worse response times which the op specifically mentions as being important.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,150 Posts
...where he also lists black levels as being important

·
To The Game
7,612 Posts
...where he also lists black levels as being important
Yes but he mentioned response times as being more important then refresh rate leading me to believe he wouldn't be happy with a va panel that has poor response times. If you're worried about response times va is going to be a bad fit, regardless of its improved black levels over ips or tn.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm aware that Unfortunately I can't have it all. What about colors? Isn't IPS capable of being brighter/more vibrant than VA?

·
LTSC for life crew
2,877 Posts
This. Or if you can find a good deal, go OLED for the best of the best results.

·
Overclocker
11,347 Posts
There are lists of exactly that, the 27" 1440p is still one of the most common and in IPS.
Pick your poison, only so few panels exist and no monitor is perfect for everyone.

If you're simply want a 27" 1440p60 IPS... there probably is some cheapo without Async to meet those requirements. But there are also much more expensive units with faster panels and higher refresh rates.

There is a lot that goes into selecting the right model from the existing 27" 1440p144 IPS options.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,150 Posts
I'm aware that Unfortunately I can't have it all. What about colors? Isn't IPS capable of being brighter/more vibrant than VA?

there's crap IPS panels that are terrible but generally, yeah. contrast ratio and black levels are a huge factor for image quality though and it's a major tick for VA for both categories.

pictures of monitors are a terrible horrible trend that needs to die since they never show anything anywhere close to what it looks like in person, but VA on the left and IPS on the right:

I have an IPS and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat (or I'd buy something better but still IPS :D) but if you are chasing dat image quality and are happy <120hz then I'd probably say go VA.

·
mfw
8,626 Posts
Yes but he mentioned response times as being more important then refresh rate
There are two things wrong about this.

#1 QNIX QX2710

ANY modern IPS or VA panel will have better response times than the korean knock-offs. The thing doesn't even have overdrive. My dude has been living with a 10-15ms average monitor. His notion of "fast" is non-existent.

#2 refresh vs response

Refresh rate is EXTREMELY important, ESPECIALLY if we're talking sub 120Hz. Above that, sure, it starts to matter less and less, but, even then, you need much better response times to overcome the improvement to sample-and-hold blur.

Here's a comparison between a 144Hz 3ms IPS and a 120Hz 0.8ms OLED, respectively.

And here's a "slower" 240Hz VA, for good measure.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The Samsung G7 has excellent response times for a VA panel, but you'd have to be able to stomach that awful 1000R curve. Ugh. Contrast is definitely low for a VA panel but it's still going to be twice as good as most IPS panels, funny how people say that going from 700 to 1000 contrast is so noticeable but then try to say that going from 1000 to 2000 is "not a big difference and hardly noticeable", LOL suuuuuure. I'd keep the G7 on your list but that massive curve is definitely a huge potential dealbreaker.

·
Overclocker
11,347 Posts
No remotely professional or color accurate etc. monitor as far as I know is VA, they are all either IPS or OLED or dual layer IPS. Why? The viewing angles of VA are horrible which ruins image quality.

From all the available LCD types they kind of go best to worst like this:

* dual layer IPS
* IGZO IPS
* IPS
* the rest, TN or VA... similar kind of rubbish available

Used to be that cheap screens were TN, then they moved to IPS, now even cheap gadgets are moving to OLED except monitors.

Maybe next year Samsung will get smarter and release a flat version of their latest VA panel with their latest (TV quality, their TVs had this for some time now) overdrive for it and keeps the size under 30" as VA over 27" isn't very usable.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Unless it is a professional grade monitor, IPS panels are also worthless trash for color accuracy. The uniformity is so bad on gaming IPS panels(unless you win the panel lottery) that you may as well consider it just as big of a problem as VA panels viewing angles.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,150 Posts
uh, think you got that backwards

IPS was adopted for colour professional displays due to its wide viewing angles, good colour reproduction and stable image quality. However, response times were very slow originally, making IPS unsuitable for dynamic content.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

there are VA panels that have just as good colors as certain IPS monitors, but the colors on those VA displays won't be as consistent as that of the IPS technology.

https://www.displayninja.com/ips-vs-tn-vs-va/#:~:text=Further, some VA panel monitors,that of the IPS technology.

·
Overclocker
11,347 Posts
Unless it is a professional grade monitor, IPS panels are also worthless trash for color accuracy. The uniformity is so bad on gaming IPS panels(unless you win the panel lottery) that you may as well consider it just as big of a problem as VA panels viewing angles.
Uniformity is a problem with any panel type. Especially curved VAs for example, VA is pressure sensitive unlike IPS and the terribly done curving creates pressure on the panel.

Not everyone makes IPS as bad as AUO did their monstrosity 27" 1440p144 AHVA=IPS but hey they were "first" and for a long time no one even bothered to compete with them so despite the poor quality, poor lottery, people wanted it and had no other option. Some people get it stuck in their head anyway, saw one IPS panel from AUO and suddenly they all must be this bad, nope.

That was once upon a time at the beginning of IPS that it was considerably slower than TN. Back when everyone was on TNs or still on CRTs.

·
Loosing Vision
1,868 Posts
I bought x2 Viotek GFT27DB Stock may be available elsewhere
https://viotek.com/gft27db-27-inch-wqhd-gaming-monitor-speaker-gsync-compatible/

They are flat screened bbut I belive they make a version that is curved as well.
These are VA and runs at 144hz and had a full menu or options to boot.
Monitor comes with cables DP & HDMI rather short but works fine.

I ordered mine from Viotek and was shipped right out (Indiana Viotek)

I chose this to upgrade from 24's but this was option available at the time. I wanted a 34" but nothing could be found on the budget.
I ordered one from another source, had such bad reviews I canceled it immediately. then ordered one from Viotek. Turns out the one I cancelled arrived first then since no one checked the weekend emails, and I got the Viotek one the next day.
So it crimped the budget but the wife said i can keep them both.
I wanted VA so if i upgrade to a AMD GPU or later go with a single 34 or larger they will work with other PC's in the house.

Stands are a bit flimsy but they do tilt and hold good. yesterday I just installed mine on dual monitor stands.

Viotek is more Budget minded if that is what your looking for.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With as much compromising as you have to do, feels like I might as well just go all out with compromises and get an FW900.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,150 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Uniformity is a problem with any panel type. Especially curved VAs for example, VA is pressure sensitive unlike IPS and the terribly done curving creates pressure on the panel.

Not everyone makes IPS as bad as AUO did their monstrosity 27" 1440p144 AHVA=IPS but hey they were "first" and for a long time no one even bothered to compete with them so despite the poor quality, poor lottery, people wanted it and had no other option. Some people get it stuck in their head anyway, saw one IPS panel from AUO and suddenly they all must be this bad, nope.
Same thing with VA panels, not all of them smear but some people see one and think they must all do, nope 😉

With as much compromising as you have to do, feels like I might as well just go all out with compromises and get an FW900.
Just get an OLED instead. I got the CX48 and will never go back to LCDs ever.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,150 Posts
VA panels, not all of them smear but some people see one and think they must all do, nope

so they're doing what you did when you said "IPS panels are worthless" ?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts