Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am about to buy the Pioneer HDJ2000b ( version 1 or version 2 - Have not decided yet) but I am looking for a sound card to complement the headset.

The sound card needs to be a PCIe.

or is my onboard sound card ok to use ( Asus Hero Z97) ?

Quote:
ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
- ELNA premium audio capacitors
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- DTS Connect
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
- Sonic SoundStage
- Sonic SenseAmp
- Sonic Studio
- Sonic Radar II
Cheers
Levon

·
Banned
631 Posts
Built-in motherboards' integrated sound chipsets have made a tremendous progress the last 5 years, the current chipset (alc 1150) which comes modded by some brands (ie asus) is very decent and can power relatively higher end headphones (by high end i mean 200-300, not hurr durr $5000
Stax SR-009 lol). I think you should order the headset (actually these are headphones as they have no microphone), maybe do some burn-in for a week, then test the sound and see if it satisfies you if it is loud enough...etc.

About the Headphones, did you do some research ? Do they need to provide a specific use other than PC use (DJ ?), would you reconsider if we provide some suggestions after you answer this post ?

You may also be interested in DACs and extrenal sound cards, as for all of these devices (including PC sound card), may i advice you to inform yourself about Dolby Headphone and similar technologies, i'm using it since i bought my headphones and USB DAC and it has changed my audio world (Dolby).

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadjinnSayan View Post

Built-in motherboards' integrated sound chipsets have made a tremendous progress the last 5 years, the current chipset (alc 1150) which comes modded by some brands (ie asus) is very decent and can power relatively higher end headphones (by high end i mean 200-300, not hurr durr $5000
Stax SR-009 lol). I think you should order the headset (actually these are headphones as they have no microphone), maybe do some burn-in for a week, then test the sound and see if it satisfies you if it is loud enough...etc.

About the Headphones, did you do some research ? Do they need to provide a specific use other than PC use (DJ ?), would you reconsider if we provide some suggestions after you answer this post ?

You may also be interested in DACs and extrenal sound cards, as for all of these devices (including PC sound card), may i advice you to inform yourself about Dolby Headphone and similar technologies, i'm using it since i bought my headphones and USB DAC and it has changed my audio world (Dolby).
I am looking for a pair of headphones what are closed back and comfy
they dont have to have a mic but i will be using them for home listening to music, movies and gaming.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by levontraut View Post

they dont have to have a mic but i will be using them for home listening to music, movies and gaming.
Sound Blaster Z. $80

·
Banned
631 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleBound View Post

Sound Blaster Z. $80
lolwut ? you quoted a question about headphones and then you answer by writing the name of a sound card with no explaination of why it is the best for OP whatsoever lol

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Quote:

Stax SR-009 lol
). I think you should order the headset (actually these are headphones as they have no microphone), maybe do some burn-in for a week, then test the sound and see if it satisfies you if it is loud enough...etc.

lachen.gif

Anyway, I quite agree. The onboard ones are quite fine for just movies, music and gaming.
thumb.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: cuad

·
Banned
631 Posts
Ok, don't forget to burn in your purchase, there are guides pretty much everywhere (what i did was to make an endless playlist with music, a few pink noise and some silence which ran for about a week at moderate volume, imo it did make some difference but i am no audiophile)

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Like said before try your onboard.

If you want better then:
For soundcards i would recommend one with a dedicated headphone amp like the Asus Essence STX (I or II)
But rather would go for external DAC/amp combo.

I got a alc1150 with headphone amp on my board to but even a cheap DT 990 sounds much better on my external DAC and amp then on the alc1150.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Quote:
I got a alc1150 with headphone amp on my board to but even a cheap DT 990 sounds much better on my external DAC and amp then on the alc1150
Could you explain in what way they 'sound better' ?
Also olol cheap ? ($140)

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Quote:

Could you explain in what way they 'sound better' ?
Also olol cheap ? ($140)
Yeah i call DT 990's cheap still, i know for many people it isnt but reall high-end headphones are sveral time's the price of a DT990.
Not saying a DT990 sounds cheap though. wouldnt own one if it did.

Compared to my onboard my dac + amp sounds better.
- Alot more volume (no this isnt quality, just volume)
- Alot more details in music
- Easier to pinpoint instruments...... placement.
- Better deeper bass allthough with my amp it could still do better.
- More controll, music scenes with alot going on seem to sound "calmer" on the dac then onboard... onboard make's it more sound like you cant pinpoint every tone/instrument anymore

I have the Asus Z97 Pro Gaming wich i believe has exactly the same onboard audio as yours.

My dac set-up is:
Musical Fidelity V-DAC II
Musical Fidelity V-PSU II (power supply)
V.D Hull The Bay C5 Interlinks
Pro-ject Headbox II (the weaker link in my set-up)
Output of the headphone amp goes to the Adam speakers (daisy chain)

·
Banned
631 Posts
Quote:
Alot more details in music
wat ?

So if i understand correctly the biggest difference is the sound separation and soundtage ?
Quote:
I have the Asus Z97 Pro Gaming wich i believe has exactly the same onboard audio as yours.
Seems so, but i'm using the Asus U3 USB DAC though. Have you ever heard the Dolby Headphone technology in action ?

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Quote:

wat ?

So if i understand correctly the biggest difference is the sound separation and soundtage ?

Seems so, but i'm using the Asus U3 USB DAC though. Have you ever heard the Dolby Headphone technology in action ?
With details i mean just that, details, like you hear more in a single note.... hard to explain really.
Like on a calm paino piece you can hear the breathing of the artist sometimes while with the onboard you dont or spot it less easely.

I am not a fan of Dolby headphone tbh, i like my sound rather flat.
Its the recording that should deliver you a warm or cold sound, not the equipment.

Then again, dont listen to everything i say.. or what others say.
Audio really is highly subjective.
We can advise in what is good within all kinds of budgets but if it actually sounds good to you only you can deside.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Quote:

Have you tried to EQ-out the response rate changes brought by dolby headphone ? Could you provide some data if its the case ?
No i havent played with EQ and Dolby.

I tryed Razor surround on this dac/amp because everyone raved about it, it sounded awfull to me.
And sometimes i sit on my wife's PC wich has a Hyperx Cloud II connected to it.
It has a Dolby function on the little usb soundcard and on there it sounded awfull to IMO.

Thats all experience i had with Dolby headphone and really i dont want/need more.

I dont like normal surround sets that people have with there TV alot either.
Plain stereo is all i want and need. 2.1 is ok to.

I use me stereo headphone's for music listening when i cant bother others with noise and for gaming.
I use my stereo Adam speakers for music listening only. (mostly when i am home alone)

And when i want it loud or annoy the neighbours i got a very special set stacked away in my shed :)

But like i said "dont listen to me"
Go by what you think sound best.
I say Dolby headphone sucks, but if you love it does my opinion really matter then ?

"We can advise in what is good within all kinds of budgets but if it actually sounds good to you only you can deside."

·
Banned
631 Posts
Quote:
But like i said "dont listen to me"
Go by what you think sound best.
I say Dolby headphone sucks, but if you love it does my opinion really matter then ?

"We can advise in what is good within all kinds of budgets but if it actually sounds good to you only you can deside
Wow chill out bro who was the first part targeting anyway ? Me ? I already have dolby headphone on my dac and i enjoy it (in conjunction with 7.1 virtual speaker, helps reduce the echo and the 'in your head feeling', essentially opening the stereo soundstage forward and backward of my ears.
Imho too, maybe you're missing something that is DH.

"It's not because two opinions differ that one is not able to be understood by the other and vice versa, understanding an opinion can change your own, it's not because you dont aknowledge someone's opinion that his will change the way you want."

Geez the opinion game is strong in OCN lol

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih View Post

With details i mean just that, details, like you hear more in a single note.... hard to explain really.
Like on a calm paino piece you can hear the breathing of the artist sometimes while with the onboard you dont or spot it less easely.

I am not a fan of Dolby headphone tbh, i like my sound rather flat.
Its the recording that should deliver you a warm or cold sound, not the equipment.

Then again, dont listen to everything i say.. or what others say.
Audio really is highly subjective.
We can advise in what is good within all kinds of budgets but if it actually sounds good to you only you can deside.
Looks like we have similar taste in sound..
I had a pair of the Corsair Vengance 2100 and they Dolby was horrible for me.. WAY to much bass
now i ( as you say) looking more for sound than volume ( want to hear the intrigue little sounds and instruments) as I do more gaming and sound is key for this for me.
I am on a side project busy with a true 7.1/ 8 channel speaker setup but that is going to cost loads as a single low/mid range speaker is going to be round the £170
then a dac that takes HDMI in for digital sound etc... etc...

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Quote:

Wow chill out bro who was the first part targeting anyway ? Me ? I already have dolby headphone on my dac and i enjoy it (in conjunction with 7.1 virtual speaker, helps reduce the echo and the 'in your head feeling', essentially opening the stereo soundstage forward and backward of my ears.
Imho too, maybe you're missing something that is DH.

"It's not because two opinions differ that one is not able to be understood by the other and vice versa, understanding an opinion can change your own, it's not because you dont aknowledge someone's opinion that his will change the way you want."

Geez the opinion game is strong in OCN lol
Uhmmm, me chilling out ? even more then i allready am ?

I think you got what i said wrong lol

I just said i dont like dolby and that you should form your opinion about it.
If you like it fine, if not fine to.
I said "dont give in to others people's (like me) opinion to much because in the end you deside what sounds good and what doesnt."
Whats not chill about that ?

·
Banned
631 Posts
I dont know dude, the formulation of your answers confuses me a bit lol.
I just meant to make you share what would sound good to you, using something i like but you don't so i could understand your opinion and know how the sound you like soinds like.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Quote:

I dont know dude, the formulation of your answers confuses me a bit lol.
I just meant to make you share what would sound good to you, using something i like but you don't so i could understand your opinion and know how the sound you like soinds like.
Tbh, i am confused now to lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts