Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
I just picked up a i7 920 D0 and MSI X58M a couple days ago from Micro Center.

I plan to keep it always air cooled. I think I want to do a conservative overclock with stability as my main goal.
For now I will be using the stock HSF until I save more money up.

What DDR3 memory do you recommend? Best bang for the buck really....
I want to go triple channel, but fear I can only afford 3x1GB. I prefer to pick up someone's used set even.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

I am looking at the used area here and other forums. Feel free to share if you notice any though!

OK do not laugh, but I really probably need to get as close to $50 shipped as possible.....
I found a set of OCZ 3GB (3 x 1GB) PC3 12800 8-8-8 @ 1.65v Memory Kit - $42 shipped
Not sure which exact kit this is though.....

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
You wont hear me laughing buddy, a budget is a budget... Thats what budgets are for, so you can still eat after your impulse purchase LMAO

Really, I would save just a hair more money and get these some better ram... I personally like 2gb sticks because you can always keep adding to them and not run out of room. I would save up another $50 and get a quality 4gb kit, otherwise, you will regret it later when you are unhappy with your purchase and are replacing the ones you just bought with the ones that you really wanted in the first place.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Yeah, now that I have had enough time to really think about it, your best bet would be saving up as much as you can and watching the FS section.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tha d0ctor View Post
check in the memory section here, yesterday someone was selling 1600mhz g.skill pi (6gb) cl8's for like 135$, can't beat that dea;
not in his budget, but last i seen they are still for sale, I would buy them asap but I have to go to the bank first and then decide if they'd fit with my heatsink lol..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks again!
This was very unexpected for me to get this i7 setup. I have not begun to research. I am going to Google now, but curious to get your opinion on Tri channel vs dual channel performance. I will be running Windows 7 Pro 64bit, I just picked up the MS Deal for $30.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodeje79
View Post

I can get this locally, I may be able to spring this with the rebate.....

http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0322202
$63.99AR plus tax.
OCZ Technology
4GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules)

Latency is a little high on those, but it should work just fine for you, get them and put that beast together, don't forget to give us pics though! WEEEEE LIIIIIIKE PIIIIIICS

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok new budget! $100!

inside I really want to get triple channel, although it appears be very little difference in performance over dual channel.

EDIT: Dang I wish I could post in WTB!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodeje79
View Post

I found a set of : OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail
Capacity 6GB (3 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency 7
Timing 7-7-7-24
Voltage 1.65V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-381-_-Product

$85, should I do it???

Says it's currently deactivated... And I just bought this exact kit from amazon for $195 a week ago (who had it for the cheapest i could find)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK I PMed him that I will take it!
We will have the same CPU,mobo, and RAM. I will have to read your posts.

Would the Corsair Dominator ram fan work on our setup?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts