Overclock.net banner

Recommendations for replacement Speakers (for garage gym)

2483 6
Hey gang,

Currently have some old as the hills Technics speakers being driven by my old Yammy AVR. The Speakers are 30 years old easy and they have been through hell. Was wondering was would be a good replacement for a space the size of a single car garage? The current speakers are SB-A10 tower units. Was hoping to get something smaller but with a better sound stage that I could mount on the walls. Any suggestions??? Receiver is an old Yamaha HTR6230.

Thanks in advance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· 46 Cans of Ravioli
36,831 Posts
SB-A10
8 ohms
100W RMS, 200W max
91dB/W
Yamaha HTR-6230B
100W RMS @ ohms

If the receiver can ACTUALLY put out 100W RMS (they're usually over spec'd) then look at the Mica RB42 but they're inefficient @ 83 dB/W. If your receiver doesn't put out 100w it's going to struggle to drive them very loud.

The Neumi BS5 are worth a look too, they're cheaper and more efficient/easy to drive but they're larger.

· Bench, Dead, Squat
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir. Good question about the RMS of the receiver, not sure on that one. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised that it was over spec'd as this was one of their entry level AVRs. Also my knowledge of speakers and audio gear is just enough to get me in over my head pretty easily.

I think I will see if I can source those Neumi's up here in the great white north. Don't want to get something too fancy for the garage, I mean the spiders might dig the fancier speakers, IDK.

Thanks again.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

· Loosing Vision
1,907 Posts
you might check some local churches that may have some speakers or left overs from a upgrade. Just be sure to match up any specs. As Pook mentioned that the efficiency ratings are rather low so it takes more power to drive them.
Other things to watch for is they don't use XLR's some use 1/4" plugs.

I would look on FB marketplace or CL for a used set of something or even just find someone that has both receiver and speakers for around 3 bills.

· Registered
2 Posts
Boys and girls Hello everyone! Any training on your body will have a very positive effect on you. It's very simple, you just exercise for a certain period of time and later you can start taking protein or steroids! I'm speaking from a personal example. I advise everyone to exercise and take protein, as I do. Protein is protein and so on, only in a reduced form. I like the Melanotan 2. This is by no means an advertisement, but just a story about how I wanted to change myself. I'm glad that I started playing sports and using these particular steroids because they helped me get rid of my complexes and they are the safest on the market.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey! Why are you so worried about music? I don't think music matters that much while doing sports. I also have a special place at home where I play sports and put my music on my phone or headphones, and I'm okay with that. It is comfortable. I don't think it's necessary to invest much in the speakers in your garage gym. I was also thinking of investing in everything that keeps my little gym at home, but I didn't. I'm okay with what I have. After all, I practice sports less and less because I found other options like fat burners that I found on https://www.healthcanal.com/life-style-fitness/best-fat-burner- women who replace sports and are healthy for the body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.