Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The case that came with my computer has 2 80mm slots (in the back), with one that is already in it. I want to get my temp down without super loud fan noise, what fans would you recommend specifically?!?

Also would a new cpu fan help out? if it would, what amd 64 2800+ for a socket 754 would be the best specifically. I have looked at cooler master but am unsure. Again I don't really loud noises. If you have any specific recommendations that would be awesome, or the best places to buy from.

Peace and hair grease

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking at the xp-90 pic and was wondering where the fan screws on? thanks for the advice. I was wondering if this xp-90 will improve that much more over my Thermaltake Silent Boost K8?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Thermalright doesn't use screws to hold the fans on, they use a special wire clip that holds them on, which works perfectly well. I don't know if it'll be a gigantic boost of that Thermaltake thing, the XP-120 probably would be, but I'm pretty sure it's better, I mean you get more surface area, plus options for some really powerful fans = really good cooling

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Thermalright doesn't use screws to hold the fans on, they use a special wire clip that holds them on, which works perfectly well. I don't know if it'll be a gigantic boost of that Thermaltake thing, the XP-120 probably would be, but I'm pretty sure it's better, I mean you get more surface area, plus options for some really powerful fans = really good cooling

which fans would be the best for the xp-90?
Am i better off getting case fans first before the cpu fan?
Also i have seen video card fans to replace the stock ones, are these a gimmick or do they actually do something?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
92mm tornados move I think around 110cfm of air but will kill your ears, YS Tech and Panaflo are good at making fans that perform well but are still quiet, look for a fan with about 70-80cfm. Depends on what your CPU temps are, if they're high right now you may want to get the heatsink, but a case fan costs like $8 so I don't see why you couldn't just get both at the same time. Video card coolers make a difference, big time. I couldn't get over 350 core on my 9700 with the stock cooler, I bought an Arctic Cooler Silencer rev.3 and now can run 390MHz core. The cooler the card is, the less it will artifact and the more it will overclock, they're usually a pretty good investment

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't find any 92mm fans, is that the only size that fits the xp-90. Also are you sure that the xp-120 wouldn't fit my board, or is it really that big?

You have been a huge help, Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well, it is actually compatible with your board, I missread the compatability list here you'll see you'll have to bend the caps a little bit, which if done gently, isn't a problem at all. In that case, I'd recommend you get the XP-120 and the 120x38mm Panaflo Medium, that's what I got, 90cfm, great performance, and whisper quiet

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*caps mechanically obstruct pipe slightly, cap tilting necessary

What does this mean on that list you gave mean? Would i just have to bend something a little?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Capacitors are little cylinders that are around the CPU socket that store voltage and give it off at a more stable rate. What that means if you'll have to bend them over to the side a little bit, and like I said, if you're gentle and don't apply too much pressure and move them too fast, they'll be fine. You'll just have to bend them enough so they clear the heatpipes sticking out of the back of the heatsink

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob

You will need to bend the capacitors, nothing to harmful unless it breaks off...

THREADJACKER!

·
Registered
245 Posts
i use an xp-90 with an adjustable enermax 90 mm fan from newegg. My temps before were 57 under load with a barton 2500 overclocked to 3200 speeds of 2.2ghz. after installing the xp-90 with the fan i mentioned my temps never exceed 44-46c depending on room temp(day or night). Get some arctic silver 5 and away you will go. The case fans may drop temps 1-2 degrees but your cpu heatsink will do wonders when you put a good one in there. SVC or Newegg sell both the fan and the heatsink. I have two systems if my specs are throwing anyone off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport

The case that came with my computer has 2 80mm slots (in the back), with one that is already in it. I want to get my temp down without super loud fan noise, what fans would you recommend specifically?!?

Also would a new cpu fan help out? if it would, what amd 64 2800+ for a socket 754 would be the best specifically. I have looked at cooler master but am unsure. Again I don't really loud noises. If you have any specific recommendations that would be awesome, or the best places to buy from.

Peace and hair grease

Coolermaster Hyper 6.

It wont get in the way of anything esle.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
and weighs 3 and half pounds and runs the very real risk of snapping the motherboard, no, the XP-120 will perform exactly the same if not better and weighs about 1/10 of those gigantic hunks of copper...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts