Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first start off by saying I don't know a whole lot about networking. But we are having problems receiving a good signal within my garage, driveway, frontyard, master bedroom, and sometimes backyard (depedning on where your at). So I was wanting to invest in something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireless-Wireless-N-Repeater-SR300/dp/B004NBL9WK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1337616124&sr=1-1

but I'm not sure how they work and what best ones are for the price and so on and so forth I don't wanna spend over $60 on one but if an $80 one is 2x better than a $60 one then of course I'll invest in the $80 one. I drew (rather I scribbled a best of my house, where the modem is located, and where i would like to put the wireless router booster)...

p.s. obviously there are other work arounds like moving the modem and potential interference problems but I was hoping I could bypass all that troubleshooting and buy something that can "brute force" it's way past those problems and not only that but extend the range to lets say all the way out to the road.

Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick question just by looking at the pictures it looks like it needs to be wired to a modem.. the problem is the modem and where i'll be putting the booster is all the way across the house.. I was hoping I could just plug the power in and configure it to receive the signal coming from my modem.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Well if you setup properly you can use that Router to take your current Wireless Signal.
Be sure to place it in range of your Wireless Router as it will be receiving the connection off your main Router.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright just be to sure the modem I am using is a 2WIRE standard modem with built in router (or wifi) provided by at&t. I just want to be able to take that router across the house (within range of the wireless signal coming from the modem) and simply plug in that new router without any other cords (ie: ethernet, usb, whatever). Obviously though when i'm setting it up I'm going to have to plug it into the modem configure with the computer unplug it and take it back into the room im wanting and simply use the power cord.

Wow my message sounds really dumb so i hope you understand what i'm trying to say lol.. maybe i need to just buy it and experiment with it and if it doesn't do what I want it to do just send it back

1 - 5 of 5 Posts