Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was browsing the local record store and ended up picking up a copy of Radiohead's The Bends on vinyl today. Problem is, I don't have much of a setup to listen to vinyl. I do have a record player (Technics SL-Q2 with what appears to be a Grado needle). What I want to know is what's the best way to play this? I could get an RCA to mini plug adapter and run it into my soundcard (Creative X-fi Xtrememusic), but what are my other alternatives? Would I get any benefit with some other setup? Also, my speakers are Logitech x-2300 and my headphones are Sennheiser EH150s. Any input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
To connect the turntable to your soundcard or speakers you will need a phono pre-amp, this is because a turntable puts out a different level signal than other devices such as CD players or MP3 devices. A phono pre-amp changes the signal to one that your speakers or soundcard can work with effectively.

They aren't expensive, you should be able to pick one up for under $40-50.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by tUDJ
View Post

To connect the turntable to your soundcard or speakers you will need a phono pre-amp, this is because a turntable puts out a different level signal than other devices such as CD players or MP3 devices. A phono pre-amp changes the signal to one that your speakers or soundcard can work with effectively.

They aren't expensive, you should be able to pick one up for under $40-50.

So my best bet is just getting a phono pre-amp and hooking up to my sound card? Is there a particular pre-amp you'd recommend?

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAndBlueNotebook
View Post

So my best bet is just getting a phono pre-amp and hooking up to my sound card? Is there a particular pre-amp you'd recommend?

I don't really know much about them, I've never needed one. I just know that you do need one

There are a few members on here with turntable setups so hopefully they will see this and offer some recommendations

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly;13163369
USB turntables are very cheap, I have an ION one, does the job nicely.

(edit: I tried with a normal deck at first but it was alot of messing, alot of feedback and not worth the hassle, just get a usb deck that is designed for the job. Plug it in and does what it says on the tin
smile.gif
)
Do not purchase a USB TT for the love of jeebus. You have a Technics TT and a pretty nice one at that. It's direct drive with a Grado needle! It will sound a ton better than any of those USB things.

Firstly grab one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PP400-Ultra-Compact-Phono-Preamp/dp/B000H2BC4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303108561&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp: Musical Instruments[/URL] It does it's job cheaply and effiently. It doesn't have humming or noise like some of the other cheap preamps. No matter what you do you will need a phono pre-amp.

I have a Technics SL-5300 hooked up to the pre-amp I mentioned above which in turn is going through a Behringer 502 mixer (http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-XENYX502-5-Channel-Mixer/dp/B000J5UEGQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1303109093&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer: Musical Instruments[/URL]) and then into my speakers. You could go this route and pull the audio from your computer into the mixer as well and then have it all in one spot, that is if you want another piece of gear on the desk.
tongue.gif

If your audio card accepts a line in however, I would start with just the pre-amp going directly into your sound card and see how you like it. Good luck, but be careful, vinyl can be addicting.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverthePond
View Post

Do not purchase a USB TT for the love of jeebus. You have a Technics TT and a pretty nice one at that. It's direct drive with a Grado needle! It will sound a ton better than any of those USB things.

Firstly grab one of these: Amazon.com: Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp: Musical Instruments It does it's job cheaply and effiently. It doesn't have humming or noise like some of the other cheap preamps. No matter what you do you will need a phono pre-amp.

If your audio card accepts a line in however, I would start with just the pre-amp going directly into your sound card and see how you like it. Good luck, but be careful, vinyl can be addicting.

The TT is actually my dad's, and I'm glad to hear that it's nice. That pre-amp is cheaper than I was expecting, so that's nice. And my soundcard does have line in, so I'll just get the pre-amp.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAndBlueNotebook
View Post

Ordered the Behringer pre-amp that Overthepond recommended
+rep to those who helped

Let us know how it goes!

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverthePond
View Post

Let us know how it goes!

Sure will! Just need to start stocking up on vinyl once my next paycheck rolls around. Although, The Bends should last me plenty of listens

1 - 11 of 11 Posts