Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· H₂O Aficionado
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

TL;DR: I'm looking for recommendations either for speakers (active) or speakers + amp combo. Total budget is $400 CAD ($300 USD). I'm located in Canada.

Context:
I've salvaged an old record player. Fisher MT-273
I also replaced the stylus (original needle was missing) with an Ortofon OM 5E. Basic stylus; Nothing fancy.

Now, I plugged record player directly (RCA -> 3.5mm) into my Bose Companion 3 Series II Speakers (multimedia unit for desktop). However, at full volume, the record player was audible... but not loud enough to listen from a distance. I assume the built in amp in the bose speakers isn't powerful enough to drive it.

In any case, its clearly not the right application for it.

Request:
I'd prefer to have better speakers dedicated for the unit.
Preferably something active so I can avoid purchasing more equipment.
The project (record player refurb) is under the management of my partner in crime :p
She wants it clean and elegant. I want quality sound and efficiency on the budget...
In the event we move away from playing vinyls, i'll likely relocate the speakers to either my TV or PC in the future.

I need your help to find the best value (cost/performance/size/appearance).

Questions:
What is the best approach?
  • Active speakers?
  • Passive + amp?
  • Do I need a preamp in any of these situations?
We're not audiophiles. It's just a fun mini project.

Let me know if you can help!

· Graphics Junkie
4,518 Posts
on a $400 budget you'd probably want to get a kit... $400 is a weird budget for this actually. It's not enough to build towards a true home theater setup but it's more than I would spend on a 2.1 kit.

This is a great kit for the price: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System - Black - Newegg.com

Closer to your budget: Amazon.com: Edifier S350DB Bookshelf Speaker and Subwoofer 2.1 Speaker System Bluetooth v4.1 aptX Wireless Sound for Computer Rooms, Living Rooms and Dens: Computers & Accessories

Or you could get something like this but I doubt there are any 5.1 kits like this that sound all that great around this price: Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S3900 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver/Speaker Package,black: Electronics

Ideally if these are going to be your main speakers for a long time, my approach would be to plan to spend $200 or so per speaker and eventually have a good 5.1 setup. You can spend less on the rear speakers. $200-300-ish on the subwoofer. And of course you would need a decent receiver but if you do analog you can probably find a good one used for a good deal.. But that's only if you plan to use these speakers a lot. If this is just for a record player and nothing else I would definitely recommend something like the Klipsch pro media 2.1.

Side note, if you're going to get into records FYI I know people think records are higher quality and that's potentially true but there are several limiting factors, the biggest of which is the needle itself and unless you have a very expensive record player and replace the needle regularly... and listen to brand new records... the audio quality thing is really a myth since it's only true under very ideal circumstances.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for a 5.1 setup (size). No offense but that Klipsch 2.1 setup is hideous.

Just looking to get sound of some vinyls in a small package and make a fun project out of it.

Not sure if I wasn't clear? I was digging into the Edifier speakers, similarly to the ones you've shared but I think the first step is to understand and validate the approach. E.g. Passive or Active. Also, why doesn't my current speakers drive it to a decent level?

Yes, I understand to get the most out of the vinyls you need to invest heavily but I really don't want to go down that lane. It's just for fun. I have an archive of old vinyls, just looking for an easy setup that is clean and easy to drive it.

$400 CAD budget is firm. As again, we don't want to invest and go down the rabbit hole. Just to have the record player... playing. Even if the audio quality is = to MP3s or digital files.

This may not be the best forum to ask either. I'd just figured id share a post here before I contact / visit a vinyl store.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Digging into those Edifier S350DB's now. Looks like a good package. Still researching and would like to validate the steps but thank you for sharing UltraMega :)

· Registered
884 Posts
Kali LP6 + Art DJ Pre II

Best bang for buck

You do need an RIAA preamp for the turntable.

· 46 Cans of Ravioli
36,831 Posts
Audioengine A5+ or A2+

· H₂O Aficionado
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Audioengine A5+ or A2+
A5+ are out of budget. I’ve looked into the A2+ but it seems, according to general opinions (lol) they’re over priced?

Would you choose a 2.0 system over a 2.1? E.g. Edifier vs Audioengine.

Kali LP6 + Art DJ Pre II

Best bang for buck

You do need an RIAA preamp for the turntable.

Thank you. I’ll review the links.

· 46 Cans of Ravioli
36,831 Posts
A5+ are out of budget. I’ve looked into the A2+ but it seems, according to general opinions (lol) they’re over priced?

Would you choose a 2.0 system over a 2.1? E.g. Edifier vs Audioengine.
there's plenty of good options in your budget that cost less but you mentioned an a e s t h e t i c requirement, I figured they'd appease the SO.

No idea on the Edifiers, never heard them.

• Rep+
Reactions: Slaughtahouse

· H₂O Aficionado
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I agree. At 340$ CAD they also fit the bill with room to spare IF I need throw an amp or preamp at them.

I’m just playing devils advocate :)

· Registered
884 Posts
The A2+ are powered, but you still need a pre for the TT either way.

What's the best price you see for the LP-6 in Canada? They're $150 each in the US, but I'm seeing ~$230 Canadian per speaker.

EDIT: best price I found on Ebay.ca

· Banned
1,319 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations either for speakers (active) or speakers + amp combo. Total budget is $400 CAD ($300 USD). I'm located in Canada.
We're not audiophiles. It's just a fun mini project.
Let me know if you can help!

You just made me a believer, that entire Canada this is full of homes and without physical stores.
At 80s if you wanted best sounding music system, you can have it, if you were a sailor and your boat this arrives at the harbor of Tokyo - Japan.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uhh… huh. I put Canada in the description because people typically list prices in USD or share links to US only websites.

Additionally, (Ontario), the province I reside in, just got out of lockdown less than two (2) weeks ago. Non-essential stores, like audio shops, just opened. With limited capacity.

I may eventually travel to one as needed but i’d like to do my research first. Before I speak in person or call and get a sales pitch.

Beyond all of that I have just mentioned, I really don’t understand the proverbs and meta of your post.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The A2+ are powered, but you still need a pre for the TT either way.

What's the best price you see for the LP-6 in Canada? They're $150 each in the US, but I'm seeing ~$230 Canadian per speaker.

EDIT: best price I found on Ebay.ca
Thanks and you’re correct. They come to about $230 per speaker. At that price + preamp, id consider the A5+.

I found them at “London Drugs” online. Not sure why they are $300 cheaper than on Amazon.ca but it might be an approach. https://www.londondrugs.com/audioengine-a5+-premium-powered-bookshelf-speakers---white---a5+w-115v/L5754965.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=productfeed&utm_campaign=surfaces

I like the ideas of the a2+ but i’m not sure if they are loud / powerful enough to fill up our living/ dining area. ~500 sq.ft.

The best value appear to be those edifiers. The retro look isn’t all that bad on them either.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be fair, the Fisher is going to limit sound quality. I wouldn't spends loads on speakers that pair with it.
Yup. That’s why Id figure to limit the budget. The only reason I personally don’t mind investing into the speakers alone is because IF the fad of the vinyl dies, I can just absorb the speakers into my PC setup or hook them up to our TV.

· Registered
884 Posts
Thanks and you’re correct. They come to about $230 per speaker. At that price + preamp, id consider the A5+.
ASR also measured the A5+

If money were no object, I'd still pick the LP-6, but I'm sure they both sound great.

Still need a pre with any of these speakers though. You can find some really cheap TT preamps but the DJPre II is as good as some "high end" preamps that cost a lot more, so if you ever upgrade the TT, it will still serve you well.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ASR also measured the A5+

If money were no object, I'd still pick the LP-6, but I'm sure they both sound great.

Still need a pre with any of these speakers though. You can find some really cheap TT preamps but the DJPre II is as good as some "high end" preamps that cost a lot more, so if you ever upgrade the TT, it will still serve you well.
If a pre-amp is required for ANY set of speakers (passive or active), then I will simply order a pre-amp and introduce it into the “pipeline” of my existing speakers.

Its the most cost effective solution. If my existing bose speakers still are quiet or just don’t serve the purpose we want to fill… then I can review our budget and move onto the next step (buy speakers).

· H₂O Aficionado
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@T.Sharp are they any additional cables required for the preamp? I assume its:

TT -> RCA cables -> Preamp -> 3.5mm Aux -> Amp (Bose speakers)?

Just looking to confirm before I order the preamp (Art DJPRE II).

· Graphics Junkie
4,518 Posts

When you get a kit like this there is nothing extra you should need except maybe an aux to 3.5mm adapter for your record player. The amp is built into the subwoofer usually.

· Registered
884 Posts

Yep.

The phono preamp will have RCA outputs so you can either use an RCA to 3.5mm cable or RCA cables and 3.5mm adapter.

Your TT has a ground wire too I assume? That should be wired to the lug on the back of the pre :

When you get a kit like this there is nothing extra you should need except maybe an aux to 3.5mm adapter for your record player. The amp is built into the subwoofer usually.
The Edifiers don't have a phono pre do they? You can't just plug a TT into line input, unless it's one of the chintzy new ones with a built in preamp.

Anyway he wants to use his Bose speakers for now I guess.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.