Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an app that can record game footage that I don't have to pay for? FRAPS requires a license to record more than 30 seconds at a time.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yarrrr!

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Fraps is by far the best that I have used. X-Fire has a video capture, but I think Fraps is the best that I've used. Fraps is definitely worth paying for, so I advise you to do so.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1 View Post
Fraps is by far the best that I have used. X-Fire has a video capture, but I think Fraps is the best that I've used. Fraps is definitely worth paying for, so I advise you to do so.
This.

Their are other ones but you get what you pay for, and fraps is worth paying for.

·
Banned
5,782 Posts
If the game is half-decent it should have a demo feature. Record the demo, then play the demo and record it (instead of recording while you play live).

Xfire video is free and looks OK.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
What game are you trying to record?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrodisiac View Post
If the game is half-decent it should have a demo feature. Record the demo, then play the demo and record it (instead of recording while you play live).

Xfire video is free and looks OK.
Source based games have this feature. Other games as well.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger View Post
I'm not going to resort to piracy if that's what you're trying to communicate.
You can always buy it then. There is no good free (Windows) alternative. They're all screwed up in some way.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
I mean seriously, what does Fraps cost? $37.00? One of the best investments by far. You always have access to the latest releases too, so it's neverending!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demented
View Post

I mean seriously, what does Fraps cost? $37.00? One of the best investments by far. You always have access to the latest releases too, so it's neverending!

It's not a lot of money, but it's a rip-off for what it is. I'm paying for one feature that I care about. How hard do you suppose it was to code? I feel fleeced if I pay this much. I don't understand how Windows has the highest market share and yet can't produce free software to meet a need. I guess the reason the price of FRAPS is so high is due to lack of competitors. Hmm...

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Fraps was horrible when I used it on Windows 7. Games played fine while recording but even though I had my settings configured right, all my videos were like 5 FPS with NO SOUND!

Xfire may be a little more of a resource hog with no sound but at least it was an acceptable framerate.

I'd say Xfire would be the best bet, Free hosting, encoding, and uploading, easy to use in-game console.

·
Iconoclast
30,638 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magix
View Post

Fraps was horrible when I used it on Windows 7. Games played fine while recording but even though I had my settings configured right, all my videos were like 5 FPS with NO SOUND!

Xfire may be a little more of a resource hog with no sound but at least it was an acceptable framerate.

I'd say Xfire would be the best bet, Free hosting, encoding, and uploading, easy to use in-game console.

FRAPS works fine on Windows 7 for me.

What version are you using? They've updated it four times this month.

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
View Post

It's not a lot of money, but it's a rip-off for what it is. I'm paying for one feature that I care about. How hard do you suppose it was to code? I feel fleeced if I pay this much. I don't understand how Windows has the highest market share and yet can't produce free software to meet a need. I guess the reason the price of FRAPS is so high is due to lack of competitors. Hmm...

Thank god you don't work for a software company. People pay for features they like all the time - you're being completely unreasonable. If you think it was so easy to code toughguy, why don't you go code it yourself.

I paid the $37 and felt it is some of the best money I've ever spent on software. Yes, it's one feature - but it's a feature I didn't have, I wanted - and it works completely as advertised. That is what software is.

How about Winzip - you think their price is too much? I do and there is a good alternative - that 1 feature wasn't worth the price they charge - so I went with 7zip.

But FRAPS is still the best for me. If I tried the others and thought they were as good - so be it, FRAPs would lose my business...or lower their price...

And the reason MS doesn't just make software for free - is because they live in reality. Free software usually doesn't pay the bills (consulting for Open Source solutions DOES though).....

This reality is we live in a capitalist society....so unless you're going to be the Robin Hood and code a video recorder.... it's either FRAPS or those alternatives....

PS - Zipping is usually a dead practice... I HATE HATE HATE when I see people zipping files under 10 MB... and I want to strangle people when I see them zip a 500K file

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gill.. View Post
And the reason MS doesn't just make software for free - is because they live in reality. Free software usually doesn't pay the bills (consulting for Open Source solutions DOES though).....
I didn't ask why MS doesn't make software for free, I asked why there is a lack of free software on Windows given it has a much larger userbase than any other OS.

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
View Post

I didn't ask why MS doesn't make software for free, I asked why there is a lack of free software on Windows given it has a much larger userbase than any other OS.

You're not looking hard enough then. They're out there - there were 2 alternative to FRAPS mentioned here.

Thing is, just because they're out there and exist doesn't mean they're any good. If the paid for program is good enough and reasonably priced - there isn't much motivation for people to go and do the hard work of building a piece of free software.

So $37 and you get FRAPs... who's cheap enough, that they're really motivated enough to say... "Hey screw that, I'm not paying $37 - let me go build it myself." It isn't worth the time or energy.

If FRAPS was $400... you'd see 50 competitors out there, some paid-for (cheaper), some freeware....

But it's not, it's $37...so there's only a couple of alternatives.

Other programs... they're out there - you just have to look.

Secondary reason - even though it has a large marketshare - the entire lot of them are used to paying for software (even though it's getting better - free-wise)....this isn't the Linux world.... So all the power to the devs building free apps - but the majority of software makers are still in it for the money. Debugging for different Windows OS's isn't cheap (like 20 different flavors ar any given time?)...so to make it worth the time and energy to develop those pieces of software - most companies charge money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts