Overclock.net banner

Recovered Deleted Files

408 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Jeffinslaw 
#1 ·
Okay, this is a doozy... my girlfriend somehow deleted all of her documents. This is the exact process she went through when her folders were deleted:

-Had a whole bunch of files on her desktop that she grouped into one folder called, "Folders!"
-Clicked the folder and dragged it into the "Favorites" bar in finder (showed up between "All My Files" and "iCloud Drive")
-Emptied the trash to clean things up
-Later in the day went back to finder to open up a file and the new folder, "Folders!" along with all of her files in, "Documents" were gone

Other information:

-no restarts during that time period
-no software updates
-no downloads
-no other suspicious activity

Any ideas on what the heck could have happened? I'm at a loss. I have downloaded a data recovery tool and that is currently running on her laptop. Hopefully that works.

-Jeffinslaw

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, how long has it been since said deletion had occured? Also, turning off the computer immediately after something like that occurs is proper practice. The system is still writting to the disk even as it is running.

Also, what program are you using? Personally, I have had a lot of luck with Data Rescue. Been a huge help. I would make sure to run the program with the system targeted in target disk mode or run it with the drive plugged into another system. Never run data recovery software on system while it is live.

Additionally, try a deleted files scan, and if that does work, do a deep scan. Depending on the size of the drive it can take quite some time for things to run. Also, why does she not have a backup? You know Macs have this wonderful thing called Time Machine right? It is not perfect by any means, but it is much better than having nothing. Additionally, I would have had all that stuff safe in dropbox or something as well. :/

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

First off, how long has it been since said deletion had occured? Also, turning off the computer immediately after something like that occurs is proper practice. The system is still writting to the disk even as it is running.
She noticed it around 9PM yesterday. Tried a restart a few minutes ago, no change.
Quote:
Also, what program are you using? Personally, I have had a lot of luck with Data Rescue. Been a huge help. I would make sure to run the program with the system targeted in target disk mode or run it with the drive plugged into another system. Never run data recovery software on system while it is live.
Tried using "Data Recovery Mac." Will download Data Rescue. This may not occur tonight as we both are leaving for winter break for three weeks.
Quote:
Additionally, try a deleted files scan, and if that does work, do a deep scan. Depending on the size of the drive it can take quite some time for things to run. Also, why does she not have a backup? You know Macs have this wonderful thing called Time Machine right? It is not perfect by any means, but it is much better than having nothing. Additionally, I would have had all that stuff safe in dropbox or something as well. :/

What program to use for the deleted files scan? And I will make sure she does weekly backups. The documents she lost weren't essential but there were a few old essays she would like for use for a graduation requirement here.

Thanks, Jeffinslaw

#4 ·
Make sure that the computer is off while you guys are away. Also, I have never heard of that program. One other thing you could try is R-Studio. It is much more powerful but also expensive.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

Make sure that the computer is off while you guys are away. Also, I have never heard of that program. One other thing you could try is R-Studio. It is much more powerful but also expensive.
Alright, will keep the computer off until I can look at in January. I'll pull the drive and run the program on my laptop. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.