Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Repost?

The array came to 6TB in size all in all, and was split over 2 RAID arrays and all the onboard motherboard SATA ports. The wiring was an absolute headache. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about it

Source

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sry about the post......2g/sec and it plays Crysis. What more do you people want?

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Oh my god.

But i thought defragging SSD's actually damaged them?

·
Banned
7,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outcasst View Post
Oh my god.

They must not know what they're doing

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outcasst View Post
Oh my god.

they're just showing what its capable of, a single defrag wont critically shorten the lifespan.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape
View Post

they're just showing what its capable of, a single defrag wont critically shorten the lifespan.

Yeah but if you notice they had less than 10 fragmented files

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Nice setup. Any idea what the market value is?

Defragging SSDs is not recommended because it does nothing for them performance wise. Unlike mechanical drives, fragmentation in an SSD does nothing. However, by defragging, one puts an unnecessary strain on the drive which will shorten its lifespan. After all, SSDs have a lifespan counted by number of file transfers, albeit an insane high value.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am surprised there wasn't more of a bottleneck considering there were two dozen hdds in RAID. I figured there would have been a point where even more than 6 hdds in a RAID would not yield any more performance gains.

Impressive video nonetheless

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BFAbiggs2006 View Post
I am surprised there wasn't more of a bottleneck considering there were two dozen hdds in RAID. I figured there would have been a point where even more than 6 hdds in a RAID would not yield any more performance gains.

Impressive video nonetheless

That depends on the Raid controller.
I'd figure they managed to buy an enterprise Controller somewhere around the price of 1000$ +

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Villainstone View Post
So can someone confirm... defraggin SSD's IS bad???

yes it is bad,

they just did it to prove a point as has been said. doing it once isn't a big deal, it just doesn't help speed and adds unneeded wear and tear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts