Overclock.net banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
602 Posts
I've thought DF was unapologetic about their 'mistake' and didn't even bother to correct the 'oversight' in their original review. Really does their rep, whatever that's left of it, no good to not do anything about it.

• Rep+
Reactions: EastCoast

· Banned
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
I've thought DF was unapologetic about their 'mistake' and didn't even bother to correct the 'oversight' in their original review. Really does their rep, whatever that's left of it, no good to not do anything about it.
If you watch their followup drivel they don't even mention the fact that TAAU actually adds a post processing effect that blurs the native image. When TAAU is enabled the PP effect is now disabled showing a clearer image.

It's the same with DLSS. Most games that use DLSS use a crappy TAA implimentation. That DLSS disables. Before, it was hidden and not seen in the graphics menu system. In newer games you can clearly see TAA being grayed out once you enable DLSS.

IMHO, AMD must emphasis that the developer use a higher quality level of TAA before they can use FSR. Because it's clear that their competitor is using their developer relations to influence the level of quality TAA is being used in these games, IMO.
Games like Necromunda: Hired Gun uses Epic/High TAA. Games like The Avengers uses low taa with no option to use higher quality.

Avengers: TAA is available when DLSS is OFF or using Native. But most importantly FSR isn't using any special post processing. It's only using the crappy TAA from Avengers.

Avengers: TAA is grayed out when DLSS is enabled

Necromunda Hired Gun: FSR enabled which disables TAA. Which suggest that FSR is using their own post processing when using a Radeon 6900xt

· Registered
602 Posts
That explains why Necromunda Hired Gun looks pretty darn good with FSR enabled, I was wondering why it does. I find it odd, and sad, that a free upscaling tech from AMD that benefits the majority is so dissed by some (whom I suspect are RTX card owners). I don't understand the reluctance or unwillingness, IF both DLSS and FSR are included in a game, like Necromunda, then IF you have an 'RTX' card, by all means use DLSS. IF you have an AMD card, or Pascal or Maxwell card, FSR is the only choice available, why can't they co-exist?

Adoption rate for FSR should speed up in time as PS5 and XBox Series X can leverage the tech for 4K gaming. For nVidia, having deep pockets, they can pay game devs to incorporate DLSS into their games, nobody's saying that that's wrong, and they are doing that. I just read that Back4Blood has DLSS, good for nVidia, though I don't think DLSS/FSR would be needed for a good gaming experience unless you're on the low end of the hardware spectrum.

RT, while being a nice to have feature, is not a 'must have' feature in my opinion, as GPU's now aren't capable of rendering AAA GPU intensive games with RT enabled (this is where DLSS and FSR helps). I await the day when GPU are powerful enough to render RT enabled GPU intensive games natively at 4K with ~100fps or higher.

• Rep+
Reactions: Hueristic

· Premium Member
11,487 Posts
IF you have an AMD card, or Pascal or Maxwell card, FSR is the only choice available, why can't they co-exist?

Because...Fanbois logic.

· Robotic Chemist
4,476 Posts
Because it's clear that their competitor is using their developer relations to influence the level of quality TAA is being used in these games, IMO.
Really? You are claiming these results clearly indicate that Nvidia is influencing developers to use a lower quality TAA so.... it looks better when disabled by DLSS? :rolleyes:

Very conspiratorial logic right there.

I mean, I agree, a higher quality TAA would be a good idea before FSR, but Nvidia encouraging a worse TAA to sabotage AMD's FSR or make DLSS look better is a rather big leap. A higher quality TAA would run slower and is probably harder to develop, are you sure the developers did not simply do a lower quality implementation all on their own? :p

· Premium Member
2,528 Posts
I have tried FSR in Gofall and Dota 2 with 3080 and I can tell you it is far better than DLSS 1.0, but that is not saying much DLSS 1.0 you had to pay for it.
My own understanding is that anti-aliasing is of minimal value at 4k and above native resolutions.

· Not a linux lobbyist
2,938 Posts
My own understanding is that anti-aliasing is of minimal value at 4k and above native resolutions.
That depends on the size of the pixels to your eye. Look at my avatar, that is my gaming setup and the pixel density isn't that great. Someday I will go 8k, then AA will be of minimal value.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.