Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,320 Posts

·
Needs more voltage
503 Posts
Good specs and good aesthetics, but has Razer solved the issue with most Blades starting to break down within the first two years?

·
Meow!
8,487 Posts
Still love my Zephyrus GX501, best laptop I ever bought. Where can I see some picture of the new Razer 15"?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
that looks thin. i hope it doesnt melt down. whats the thermal profile and does it throttle. also are there benchmarks

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
that looks thin. i hope it doesnt melt down. whats the thermal profile and does it throttle. also are there benchmarks
Don't expect it to perform as beefy laptops with more room for thermals.
Weight and slimness has their high costs. Most likely it will have some good hard thermal locks just like the previous version had.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good specs and good aesthetics, but has Razer solved the issue with most Blades starting to break down within the first two years?

That problem is intended.

There are two bios chips (presumably sbios and vbios) underneath the heatsink that is for some odd reason thermally connected to the heatsink assembly, heat can damage these chips overtime especially on these thin and light laptops that are just barely containing the heat.

The GPU Mosfet chip (VRM) and one GPU voltage controller IC is placed on the otherside of the motherboard without a heatsink and insulated by a sticky mylar sheet. The keyboard has a perforated plastic backing that further makes thermal transfer ineffective.

This happened on all generation Blade 14s.

Razer also didn't put a copper slug on the heatsink to save money, and their HDT implementation is abysmal with large gaps between the heatpipes.

Their excuse is that they use an excessive amount of junk paste to compensate for it and call it special thermal paste.

·
Overclocked / Overvolted
221 Posts
That problem is intended.

There are two bios chips (presumably sbios and vbios) underneath the heatsink that is for some odd reason thermally connected to the heatsink assembly, heat can damage these chips overtime especially on these thin and light laptops that are just barely containing the heat.

The GPU Mosfet chip (VRM) and one GPU voltage controller IC is placed on the otherside of the motherboard without a heatsink and insulated by a sticky mylar sheet. The keyboard has a perforated plastic backing that further makes thermal transfer ineffective.

This happened on all generation Blade 14s.

Razer also didn't put a copper slug on the heatsink to save money, and their HDT implementation is abysmal with large gaps between the heatpipes.

Their excuse is that they use an excessive amount of junk paste to compensate for it and call it special thermal paste.
Indeed, Razer notebooks are pretty pathetic products, and always have been. The kiddos seem to really love the cute but wimpy thin and light BGA trashbooks. They gobble it up like cotton candy.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Indeed, Razer notebooks are pretty pathetic products, and always have been. The kiddos seem to really love the cute but wimpy thin and light BGA trashbooks. They gobble it up like cotton candy.
When you travel a ton for work and need a fast powerful thin/light laptop there really is not many options. Don't get me wrong I have had issues with mine but Razer has repaired it both times. Next go round I might give the MSI stealth a shot but those are really the only two laptops that fit my size/performance threshold for the amount I travel.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you travel a ton for work and need a fast powerful thin/light laptop there really is not many options. Don't get me wrong I have had issues with mine but Razer has repaired it both times. Next go round I might give the MSI stealth a shot but those are really the only two laptops that fit my size/performance threshold for the amount I travel.

You mean the GS65?

The key travel is really shallow on that machine. Plus I'm kinda dubious on the cooling solution since it's 2 more cores and a 1070 maxQ, but don't have any significant change from the earlier GS63 variants.

·
Overclocked / Overvolted
221 Posts
I guess it varies by individual. I have been traveling with huge 17-inch and 18-inch dual GPU laptops for about 15 years and love 'em. I'd never consider buying a thin and light notebook with my own money. I have thin and light business class notebooks provided by my employer and absolutely hate them. I put them into the same backpack with my monsterbooks and don't mind the extra weight and bulk. It's a fair trade off (for me) having the huge beast that weighs about 12 pounds (not counting the dual 330W AC adapters) for the better and stronger product, but I know not everyone feels that way.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I guess it varies by individual. I have been traveling with huge 17-inch and 18-inch dual GPU laptops for about 15 years and love 'em. I'd never consider buying a thin and light notebook with my own money. I have thin and light business class notebooks provided by my employer and absolutely hate them. I put them into the same backpack with my monsterbooks and don't mind the extra weight and bulk. It's a fair trade off (for me) having the huge beast that weighs about 12 pounds (not counting the dual 330W AC adapters) for the better and stronger product, but I know not everyone feels that way.
You couldn't pay me to lug that through airports multiple times a week haha....well you could but that is a different story. I also use my blade considerably while sitting on the couche. I coupld probably do a bigger 15" and survive but never a 12lbs without charger 17". Outside of the battery going bad my 2014 blade still works.

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
I constantly travel with my laptops, a long with other equipment.
I can't even consider taking around a huge 4-5kg laptop with me on the back. When I had a 15' one that weighted 3kg it felt too much, even considering that I had another 12-13kg beside that. It felt very uncomfortable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts