Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanada/comments/7h0g4k/psa_it_seems_netlink_computer_inc_aka_ncix_has/

There's no "official news" site reporting on this yet but it's there.
Quote:
Computer hardware sales are alive and well, but unfortunately Netlink Computer Inc. has reached an impasse. Commonly known as NCIX, the hardware and software retailer has officially filed for bankruptcy in Vancouver, Canada.
Founded in 1996, NCIX primarily served western Canadian residents. After building a sizable online presence and looking to expand, the company opened brick and mortar stores in the Vancouver area and later added additional locations in Ontario. Once the Canadian market was well covered, NCIX set up a distribution center in the United States in 2011.
Source 2

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,525 Posts
Amazon is coming for everyone. everyone aside from Newegg is in trouble tbh. didn't Linus work for NCIX before?

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post

Amazon is coming for everyone. everyone aside from Newegg is in trouble tbh. didn't Linus work for NCIX before?
Newegg has already lost a lot of business. Still die hard fans who keep with them but when they went "public" their customer service took a dump. They still seem to be doing ok but they're not what they used to be.

Also ya, Linus worked for them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post

Unfortunately NCIX dug their own hole. They went from being one of the best in customer support to being the worst and having zero stock but still accepting orders that would just leave customers on backorder wait time with no ETA.

Yep, you can thank ncix for Linus and his annoying voice ?

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Isnt newegg involved in a huge supplier scam related lawsuit as well? The article was posted here recently.

When ncix closed all their ontario stores i knew the emd wasnt far off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokesterwild View Post

Unfortunately NCIX dug their own hole. They went from being one of the best in customer support to being the worst and having zero stock but still accepting orders that would just leave customers on backorder wait time with no ETA.

Yep, you can ncix for Linus and his annoying voice ?
That pretty much sums up my experiences with NCIX. I've placed about 5 orders with them over the years, but have received none of them.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robilar View Post

Isnt newegg involved in a huge supplier scam related lawsuit as well? The article was posted here recently.

When ncix closed all their ontario stores i knew the emd wasnt far off.
It looks like newegg was operating in "good faith" when the Korean scammer started doing his laundering... we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykeZ View Post

Newegg has already lost a lot of business. Still die hard fans who keep with them but when they went "public" their customer service took a dump. They still seem to be doing ok but they're not what they used to be.

Has Newegg made a swing back to specializing in hardware/tech? For a while it seemed like when I went there they'd be promoting all kinds of stuff like jewelry, golf clubs, etc. but recently I mostly am back to just seeing tech products again.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykeZ View Post

Newegg not charging tax for the most of the country is the only thing keeping them relevant.

·
Null
6,330 Posts
A lot of retailers are keeping minimum stock because they don't want to overstock on items they can't sell. Unfortunately the same practice seems not to be good for business...

·
Registered
843 Posts
I never had an issue with them the few times I ordered something through them.

The limited market and supply in Canada was probably part of it.

Dear god, I don't want Amazon.ca to become the only place to get computer hardware in Canada. The .CA version is garbage more often than not.

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
Not surprised.

As I reported here a couple of years ago; my own financial institution wouldn't process payments through them due to their fraud risk.

As a merchant NCIX had so many fraudulent charges, people buying goods with stolen cards, and so little care on verifying, and they shipped a lot of goods they shouldn't. They lost rating and so my bank wouldn't allow purchases with them.

"Too high risk" of a merchant.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i haven't been to ncix in a while (mostly because i haven't gotten anything new for a few years) but this comes as a surprise to me personally. i bought a lot of stuff from ncix and haven't had a problem. their price match system worked for me all the time so i didn't have to worry about price gouging.

Kinda sad :c my desktops, laptop, router, displays and phone were all acquired through ncix.

I have noticed in Ontario, CanadaComputers are much more popular...still feels like its growing. Or maybe CanadaComputers are having a hard time too and not showing it...one of the last store chains that specialize in computer components that's still alive after tigerdirect bit the bullet and ncix following in its footsteps. Blame amazon?

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftingnfsc3 View Post

i haven't been to ncix in a while (mostly because i haven't gotten anything new for a few years) but this comes as a surprise to me personally. i bought a lot of stuff from ncix and haven't had a problem. their price match system worked for me all the time so i didn't have to worry about price gouging.

Kinda sad :c my desktops, laptop, router, displays and phone were all acquired through ncix.

I have noticed in Ontario, CanadaComputers are much more popular...still feels like its growing. Or maybe CanadaComputers are having a hard time too and not showing it...one of the last store chains that specialize in computer components that's still alive after tigerdirect bit the bullet and ncix following in its footsteps. Blame amazon?
no canada computers is getting much bigger. my local store in brampton just upsized to 3x its size and stocks alot more stuff now that the local ncix is gone. on black friday the lineup was around the block to get in the store. people were buying 2 and 3 complete pc systems at a time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Not surprised.

As I reported here a couple of years ago; my own financial institution wouldn't process payments through them due to their fraud risk.
Ah, I remember that, too. I ordered my graphics card from them since pcpartpicker listed them as the cheapest. It was the only time I used them. Sure enough, the order came back as declined and I got a call from my card issuer warning me about blocked transactions due to suspicious activity.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Has Newegg made a swing back to specializing in hardware/tech? For a while it seemed like when I went there they'd be promoting all kinds of stuff like jewelry, golf clubs, etc. but recently I mostly am back to just seeing tech products again.
They're basically like amazon where everyone sells everything on there, without the customer support.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,098 Posts
A lot of rumours in this thread about custom support without facts to back them up.

I'm not a huge fan of NCIX because of their limited stock compared to Newegg but I have never had a bad experience with them. Occasionally I'd snag a deal from them, like SSD's.

Were they the best retailer out there? No but there are only a few brick n mortar shops in Canada that sell the latest in PC hardware.

Much better than Canada Computers IMO.

It's a shame, if true, that they will be closing their doors. Any proof on the matter either than Gov.bc website?

Is this a bankruptcy where the shutdown and the creditors come to sieze their assets or... what's the deal?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,144 Posts
Iv have never ordered NCIX before but its sad to see them go. I normally order from newegg -> B&H -> superbiz. Sometimes amazon as a last resort because they always take forever to ship my items. NCIX just seems to have higher prices most of the time on the items i buy unless they happen to be having a sale.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts