Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just set up my Xbox live account and i was tryping to play gears of war co opp with Fatal05 but i get tons and tons of lag. i have 384k dsl with Sbc which my dad just upgraded to a faster speed. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to be but when i run the speed test i get 2577kb/s down and 426 kb/s up. I have the D-link DGL 4300 router which i thought was supposed to reduce lag, and im using the Microsoft wireless network adapter to connect to it, its getting a high signal. Fatal is the one that its hosting the game. He has Comcast..not exactly sure what speed his is tho..anyway is there anything i can tweak in my router to maybe reduce it a little?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
well, I never had an issue gaming or making VOIP calls using my Dlink 4300. I was in the basement, my router was 2 floors above me. I had low to very low signal strength, and there were 6 other computers connected wirelessly. my roomate and I would each game wirelessly, you would have thought it was a wired connection.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Have you port forwarded the proper ports for Xbox Live on your router. It will make a slight distance as face as communication goes. Ensure you have a good wireless strength. In my honest opinion i would never recommend wireless for anyone unless it was a last resort. I used a wired lan to stream hi bit-rate HD videos and MP3's, xbox live would have better performance wired but it depends on numerous network configurations.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
You should be able to game on wireless using my wrt54gs with dd-wrt i can play cs from my laptop and still get 50-70 ping with no hiccups. if you can you should play on a lan or your pc play a game may be its not your wireless and your dsl is dropping packets. Your dsl might not be able to handle the new speed to and that could be the cause of the lag.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa
View Post

or you can buy a computer and game that way. rust me it is better anyway.

i do have a computer quite a good one as you can see which i use for gaming, the 360 was a gift. but the wireless is a last resort my dad wont let me run cable through the attic or anything. its getting aprox 4 bars for the signal. My computer is wireless also, i have it right next to my 360 i have no lag problems at all. what ports need to be forwarded for the 360 all try that

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
I told you, wireless + DSL with Xbox live is terrible. You truly need cable internet to have Xbox live run as intended.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts