Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
fairly recently i bought a second hand reference 290x, and it seems to lock up and cause black screens and game crashes at irrelgur intervals, anywhere between every hour to every 4 hours, some drivers seem to minimize the issue but sometimes the issue becomes more prominent. Its strange, and very annoying. There is no chance of RMA as i don't have a receipt or even know who sold the card to original owner.

So far ive tried:
  • Disabling ULPS
  • Unlocking and forcing constant voltage
  • Trying many different driver revisions
  • Increasing power limit by 50%
  • Increasing voltage by +50mv
  • More aggressive fan profiles
  • DDU and reinstalling drivers without CCC
  • Changing CPU profile to high performance
My power supply is only a Coolermaster 550w, although it does provide gold efficiency, but im not sure about rails and stuff, so this could be an issue i guess. The only other thing i could think of is maybe my processor?I know that an i3 can bottleneck a fair amount, but im not sure if it could cause issues like this I've heard of people upgrading and removing these effects, but im really not sure. My technical knowledge is limited to a certain degree, so i was hoping one of you guys could help me out and tell me which is the best way forward to fixing this. Also Im running AMD Catalyst 14.12 at the moment.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAPER XD View Post

I don't think a 550w PSU is going to cut it for 2 290X GPU's, especially if you're raising the power limit. The 290X is a very power hungry and hot card, so you should upgrade the PSU regardless. Hope this helped!
The OP said second hand, not 2 GPUs.

550w is fine for a single 290x and they are not 'very' power hungry. They use about 30w more than a 780.

OP, what are your temps and VRMs hitting in GPU-Z. Do you have Elpida VRAM, that is normally the cuplrit of the black screens. There may be a BIOS update to remedy it.

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
You have to have it working in the performance bios and I would look for a bios update as well. Some time ago, Tom's reviewed the reference Hawaii cards that had a fan profile discrepancy. When the former bios was profiled at 2000 rpm, the update got refreshed to 2200.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not sure which bios revison or ram type i have, although assuming i have an early model, i would think that my card has this dodgy bios/ram type. My temps never go above like 80 ish, because ive set the fan to ramp up to 100% by the time the gpu core reached 90c. How do i go about flashing the BIOS?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

The OP said second hand, not 2 GPUs.

550w is fine for a single 290x and they are not 'very' power hungry. They use about 30w more than a 780.

OP, what are your temps and VRMs hitting in GPU-Z. Do you have Elpida VRAM, that is normally the cuplrit of the black screens. There may be a BIOS update to remedy it.
Oops I didn't notice, I thought he had 2 of them. My bad
redface.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts