Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a system for myself, and have settled on an rvo2b-ew (the updated r2 with three air penetrator intakes). This question is valid for any very high intake air case, though. With the doomsday clock to the 31st rolling around (and my money coming in next week), I'm still mulling between cards. And that's fine, but the one question is, with a case with such high air flow, how much of a benefit is there really for getting a card with a non-reference cooler? I plan on OCing it/them, and I wonder if I'm not gimping myself looking at reference designs as that case can shed a lot of heat.

·
PC Enthusiast
746 Posts
I used to have both a raven 2 and an FT02 - If I were going to build a rig with one of these cases, I'd go with a reference card. They're meant to be used with cards that shoot air out of the rear of the card. (top of the case)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome. thanks. +rep

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
I will give a more precise answer.

Remember that reference cooling may refer to traditional style and non-traditional style. Traditional style means 'front centrifugal intake fan with rear exhaust alone'. Examples are reference HD6970/GTX570. Non-traditional style means everything not traditional. Examples are reference HD6990/GTX560Ti.

So, I suggest getting a card(s) that is not only reference but also of the traditional style. Silverstone actually addressed this issue of using non traditional style cooling cards. There are 2 areas of concern for a non traditional style cooling cards:-

(1) hot exhaust coming out from the front of the card which will go against the uprising fresh ambient air. This will result in hot air recirculation.

(2) heatpipes pointing downward and the working fluid within will have to work against gravity pull. This will result in a reduction of the cooling capacity.

So, Silverstone recommends using cards of reference traditional style.

See my post #4 in this thread for more info:-

http://www.overclock.net/t/1176895/corsair-h60-fit-in-a-raven

Note: Many users report 'good' cooling despite using non traditional style cards. So, this is not an issue of life-or-death but it is just not making maximum optimal cooling of the cards and the case.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
amazing answer. looks like I luck out. I was really cringing at the thought of paying 600 bucks+ for a non-reference 7970 (as one option, anyway)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts