Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to reformat my dell and i have found all the disks that came with the computer. I want to reformat but i am not sure which cd to use. I am thinking that i need to use the resource cd or the os cd. Also, i am not sure how to do it...HELP!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Depends on which generation of Dell it is.

But generally speaking...

You are dealing with a Royalty OEM restore CD.
When you pop that thing in and accept the restore, it will flatten your drive in every way possible.

It will nuke all current partitions, recreate what it wants and then install.

So yes, it formats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I reinstalled the OS on a friends modern dell the other day. I used the windows disk that came in the bundle and that wasn't the OEM preinstall version that came installed on the PC. So it installed a fresh version of Win XP Home and then I pulled the drivers off the resource CD and installed them. I had no problems doing it that way and is the cleanest way to do it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
It certainly wouldn't hurt to use your retailer's OS disc, which would technically be the same thing as any other OS installation disc. But what retailers sometimes do is install a bunch of crap during reinstallation that you may not want to have. If your computer came as a set (it came with printer, scanner, etc.), then it would be a good idea to use your retailer's.

·
Registered
243 Posts
To just repair the OS should I have to have a floppy disk cuz I dont have that and when I do the automated repair it says I need some floppy disk...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts