Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my computer is currently just gunked up, about 5 years overdue for a reformat.

Now when i went to windows 7 from vista, I just bought the upgrade disc, now if i want to reformat the computer will the upgrade disc do a good enough job? I have reformatted using it before but that was years back so not even sure if I was doing the correct reformatting sequence.

Basically my computers windows update has stopped working, java cant seem to install alongside other **** so Im wanting to get my computer working back to its prime.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikNight View Post

So my computer is currently just gunked up, about 5 years overdue for a reformat.

Now when i went to windows 7 from vista, I just bought the upgrade disc, now if i want to reformat the computer will the upgrade disc do a good enough job? I have reformatted using it before but that was years back so not even sure if I was doing the correct reformatting sequence.

Basically my computers windows update has stopped working, java cant seem to install alongside other **** so Im wanting to get my computer working back to its prime.
You'll have to use the original Win 7 install disk (hope you still have the key written down somewhere) to to the reformatting. Then use the upgrade disk do the upgrade to Win 10. The problem is that if you've changed to many components (motherboard?) the original key won't activate.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,822 Posts
Sounds to me like you will need to reinstall Vista and then use the upgrade Win 7 disk. It will be a two step process for you.

I'd just download the ISO of Win 10 and get a license from Kinguin or something for $20-30, that is if you are willing to forgo Win 7.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post

Sounds to me like you will need to reinstall Vista and then use the upgrade Win 7 disk. It will be a two step process for you.

I'd just download the ISO of Win 10 and get a license from Kinguin or something for $20-30, that is if you are willing to forgo Win 7.
No need to install Windows vista and then upgrade to WIndows 7.

You can install Windows 7 with an upgrade disk and it would still activate by just using a well known workaround:

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

Method #2 on that link.

This is a workaround that's been around for quite some time as you can see from the article it's bene out since Oct. 23, 2009.
biggrin.gif

FYI back in 2009 I've even seen Microsoft techs use this method when I call in for help with an activation issue when using a Windows 7 upgrade disk to perform a clean install.

If all else fails you can call MS at 1-800-936-5700 or chat ==> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/disability-answer-desk

Bear in mind that they support activation issues for free. As long as you have a valid product key that is.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The simple solution to this is...

Download an ISO direct from Microsoft. Windows 7 or 10 (OP doesn't mention Win 10), whatever you either have a key for or digital rights to.

You can use the ISO to make a disc or USB drive to install from.

Do a clean/full install which will format/wipe the drive, skip the part during install that asks for a key (if it even asks) and once install is complete, activate Windows with your key (unless it activates itself automatically via digital rights). The upgrade key, to the best of my knowledge, just cant be used to activate during install...once installed it will work just the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts