Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been talked about before, but I tried a search and I've noticed people only mentioning the idea of putting the entire computer into a refridgerator...

But what if you only put a reservoir into a decently powerful fridge or freezer? Then you could cut holes into the fridge/freezer and into a reservoir and out into your computer, then back into the fridge so it cools again.

Or would that put too much strain on a fridge/freezer?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidi

Sorry if this has been talked about before, but I tried a search and I've noticed people only mentioning the idea of putting the entire computer into a refridgerator...

But what if you only put a reservoir into a decently powerful fridge or freezer? Then you could cut holes into the fridge/freezer and into a reservoir and out into your computer, then back into the fridge so it cools again.

Or would that put too much strain on a fridge/freezer?

It is known as a water chiller and is usually done with an old AC unit rather then a fridge/freezer. This is because they aren't designed to remove heat like an AC unit does.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was thinking this; assuming you are using a fan to cool your radiator, why not remove the fans and attach the radiator over the air outlet on a self contained air conditioning unit?

For normal use, you can run the A/C unit in "fan only" mode and it will blow room temp air over the radiator but when the computer is being loaded, flip the switch to Cool and turn the temp dial down. I think you should be able to chill the water down to the low 40°F with a setup like this.

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/fr...964597922&rf=d

You can get these for cheap from some Chinese appliance stores. Make sure what you get is an air conditioner with a compressor and freon; not an evaporative swamp cooler you have to fill with water.

You will also need a nearby window or hole in the wall to exhaust the warm air from the condenser. Portable A/C units will come with a duct and a rectangular peice that will fit in the window opening.

Anyway, if you're going to try this, you might want to add some Prestone http://www.prestone.com/enlarged/ima...eAntiCool2.jpg to your water cooling system so if you turn off the computer but forget to shut down the A/C, you won't freeze the water in the radiator or lines.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuandrew

I was thinking this; assuming you are using a fan to cool your radiator, why not remove the fans and attach the radiator over the air outlet on a self contained air conditioning unit?

For normal use, you can run the A/C unit in "fan only" mode and it will blow room temp air over the radiator but when the computer is being loaded, flip the switch to Cool and turn the temp dial down. I think you should be able to chill the water down to the low 40°F with a setup like this.

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/fr...964597922&rf=d

You can get these for cheap from some Chinese appliance stores. Make sure what you get is an air conditioner with a compressor and freon; not an evaporative swamp cooler you have to fill with water.

You will also need a nearby window or hole in the wall to exhaust the warm air from the condenser. Portable A/C units will come with a duct and a rectangular peice that will fit in the window opening.

Anyway, if you're going to try this, you might want to add some Prestone http://www.prestone.com/enlarged/ima...eAntiCool2.jpg to your water cooling system so if you turn off the computer but forget to shut down the A/C, you won't freeze the water in the radiator or lines.

You would be better of doing it as a chiller. The setup you just came up with would cost a lot more in the energy department. I personally wouldn't want to pay the bills with either.

As it is, my roommates are trying to blame my water pump for our energy bills...and just so everyone knows two christmas trees with lights that are on all of the time hardly use any energy, if any at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, ok, sorry then. Didn't know it was called something else... I may try building a chiller, someday...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts