Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently RMA'd a Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X after it failed within the first month of use. I didn't do much overclocking with it because it had a very low OC ceiling to the point where it wasn't even worth it. I'm waiting on my replacement from Althon Micro to arrive, but I've recently learned that these GPU manufacturers almost never send out brand new cards as replacements and always sent out refurbs. Kind of disappointing news to me but I'm wondering about how refurbished cards overclock. Are refurbs generally terrible OC'ers? I get the feeling most refurbs are simply from people who return the card to a retailer like newegg within the 30 day period simply because they get a lousy OC. Anyone here have any experience with overclocking refurbished cards?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have never seen anyone openly post about returning poor overclockers for that reason alone, but myself -- if this Vapor-X I got didnt OC well, I would have returned it because the fans make grinding noises at a bunch of speeds.

So who knows, maybe there are more like me.

Refurbishing itself might get the products cleaner [or maybe worse?] coats of thermal paste, though. So maybe lower temps.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard a lot people openly admit they RMA'd their GPU during the 30-day "return for any reason" period simply because they didn't get the overclock they were hoping for. I contemplated doing this during the first 30 days but didn't feel like being a d-bag. When the coil whine started to annoy me, I figured that was a good enough excuse. So they gave me an RMA number for the coil whine alone, and then the card straight-up died 2 days later so now I obviously have a real good reason to get a replacement lol. I'm just hoping I don't get an even worse clocker just because the first product they sent me was faulty.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yeah. Its all about whether or not people are going to be moral and I bet you're right about a lot of people doing that. Its too bad no companies offer "Bad overclock editions" for people who dont OC, save some $$$, and increase the value of their other models..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.