Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Do you think thermal paste would be sticky enough to hold the IHS in place while handling the CPU ?
I'm thinking of using it instead of silicone or glue.

I've got TG Kryonaut which is not electrically conductive.

Thanks.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,104 Posts
no.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
No and you don't delid a CPU only to put a grease back again on it.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Not on the die, just on the edges of the IHS.

But ok, thanks.

Thermal paste is not a glue-like substantion and its surface tension is rather low too, come on :D.

·
Facepalm
8,194 Posts
Hello,

Do you think thermal paste would be sticky enough to hold the IHS in place while handling the CPU ?
I'm thinking of using it instead of silicone or glue.

I've got TG Kryonaut which is not electrically conductive.

Thanks.
Just buy RTV Silicone and use that.
It's cheap on Amazon.
And apply four VERY TINY small dabs (this is extremely important) on each corner of the IHS when relidding. It also helps if you sand the edges of the IHS as well, just enough so the copper color appears.
The four tiny dab method not only keeps the IHS as close to the core as possible (RTV will expand when cured, that's why you need to use as little as possible), but it also makes future delids easy to do without even using a tool. (the hardest part then is just cleaning the residue off when applying more :)

Make sure you remove all of the original black Intel adhesive as well.

You can use Kryonaut between IHS and cpu core. Yes it DOES work better than the Dow corning stuff Intel uses, but it's not optimal. It still does work. Liquid metal is best however. Go ahead and use it until you get some actual liquid metal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your exhaustive answer !

I've got liquid metal. Everything except silicone or glue..
But today's monday so I'll buy me some silicone :)

And yes I did a test with a little bit of thermal paste between plastic and metal. This thing is made not to dry, it doesn't hold, idk what I was thinking :D I was eager to delid that thing.

·
High Clocker
3,234 Posts
The liquid metal will hold it well enough if your just taking it from the delidding jig to putting it in the socket and clamping it down.
My 7900X only has liquid metal.

·
Facepalm
8,194 Posts
The liquid metal will hold it well enough if your just taking it from the delidding jig to putting it in the socket and clamping it down.
True, but not gluing down the IHS with adhesive is really something only experts (or people are just lazy or in a hurry) should be doing. It's very careless to do things haphazardly.
Many people have had issues with the IHS shifting when applying the retention lever, disturbing the LM application and causing very high temps. Novices should not have to deal with the extra work and care (and complete messups--requiring yet another repaste) from trying to use a "floating IHS". Why not simply do things the right way the first time? Provided the original Intel silicone is completely removed, you will never have issues like this if you take the time to secure the IHS with four small dabs of RTV silicone on each corner of the IHS. Then you just clamp it with the relid kit and let it sit two to three hours (you "can" try one hour if you're in a hurry but i wouldn't recommend it).

Not only does the 4 dab method secure the IHS enough, it also makes delidding again possible -with your fingernails-, provided you used the minimum amount possible. Less is more.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Or you can go DD....no need to glue...lol

Attachments

·
sudo apt install sl
7,297 Posts
True, but not gluing down the IHS with adhesive is really something only experts (or people are just lazy or in a hurry) should be doing. It's very careless to do things haphazardly.
Many people have had issues with the IHS shifting when applying the retention lever, disturbing the LM application and causing very high temps. Novices should not have to deal with the extra work and care (and complete messups--requiring yet another repaste) from trying to use a "floating IHS". Why not simply do things the right way the first time? Provided the original Intel silicone is completely removed, you will never have issues like this if you take the time to secure the IHS with four small dabs of RTV silicone on each corner of the IHS. Then you just clamp it with the relid kit and let it sit two to three hours (you "can" try one hour if you're in a hurry but i wouldn't recommend it).

Not only does the 4 dab method secure the IHS enough, it also makes delidding again possible -with your fingernails-, provided you used the minimum amount possible. Less is more.
Much easier to just sit the delidded CPU into the socket. Apply liquid metal and then sit the IHS onto the CPU and lower the lever. Don't have to worry about having to re-lid if they add too much silicone.

Or you can go DD....no need to glue...lol
Yup, DD is the way to go! I went DD with my 9900k I modded. (I cleaned up the board around the socket dw)

Attachments

·
Robotic Chemist
2,927 Posts
I second this! No need for any adhesive, just carefully put it in the socket and clamp it down. :)

...Or DD of course, DD is always better. :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts