Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,343 Posts
It must be possible since the media reader in my laptop doesn't show anything unless I plug a card in... what I don't know is if there's a way to do this with software, or if the hardware has to do it like that.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That option is checked but they are still there:
3LKVj2g.png

I should note that they appear in Windows Explorer but they are greyed out. If I plug in a SD card G:\ will "turn on".

·
Premium Member
22,343 Posts
I see what's going on there. You have "show hidden files, folders, and drives" checked..
Now your question is how to show files and folders, but not drives

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, you're right. As soon as I check to not show hidden files folders and drives the drives dissapear.

What a weird conundrum... =/

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Well that's irritating. Showing hidden files is pretty important, but showing empty drives really isn't...
rolleyes.gif

There is one other option. In the Device Manager you can disable parts of the card reader that you don't need. Never read CF cards? Disable that part of it!

Edit: Third option - I think you can click the empty drives and hit F2 to rename them? You could assign names... SDHC, CF, etc.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any idea what I should be looking for in the device manager to do this?

Also, I like the idea of renaming them to what they are, but unfortunately I have no idea which one is which except for the SD Card drive.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerKingFaiz View Post

Any idea what I should be looking for in the device manager to do this?

Also, I like the idea of renaming them to what they are, but unfortunately I have no idea which one is which except for the SD Card drive.
Nope, not really. My only Card Reader (a USB one) only shows one drive letter, and only allows one card to be plugged in at once. (Despite supporting SDHC, CF, xD, MS Pro Duo, etc.)

It might be in one of these two sections:

devicemanagerusbcardrea.png

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, I found them under the Disk Drives category and disabled them all except for SD Card, hopefully I remember that I'll need to reenable them next time I have to use a CF/MS/etc (if ever).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts