1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello OCN

i find this an annoying problem when you edit your signature

Your signature cannot be longer than 1200 characters including BB code markup

if you try and put in allot of clubs that your in, or text as well
quotes etc, you get this error message if you have over 1200 Characters
so long as your not going against this following rule

Have a signature that exceeds 8 lines in length, or use larger than # 3 font in signatures.

i don't see why this limit has to be there

can we remove it please?

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stroker
View Post

I fully agree with the TOS. I hate it when someones sig takes up half the damn page.

I agree. These rules also help to insure that the site looks neat and clean.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by William151515
View Post

Your signature cannot be longer than 1200 characters including BB code markup

That's w-a-y over generous. Most sites limit it to 512 characters or less.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The eight line limit is a little ambiguous.

With my wide screen 22 inch, everything looks fine, but when I used my laptop, people's sigs suddenly become much longer.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The URL's might make it over 1200 chars.... http://tinyurl.com/ is an easy way to partly solve that issue at least though..

Like I said, don't see the need for the BB code to count as charachters... but as for the length in terms of lines, no need to go over 8 lines the way I see it..

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianEx
View Post

Like I said, don't see the need for the BB code to count as charachters

Database upkeep. Sigs are stored in the database, and have to be called from it along with the BBCode needing to be translated back to HTML for the browser to understand it. On long threads this will interfere with page load times.

This is also to help prevent folks making rainbow sigs where every character has a BBCode tag to it.

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
I don't think the limit is unreasonable at all. The information goes in your post, not in your sig!

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEntel
View Post

The eight line limit is a little ambiguous.

With my wide screen 22 inch, everything looks fine, but when I used my laptop, people's sigs suddenly become much longer.

8 lines on 1024X768. Why that small? No clue, but that's what the staff measures it by.

Now that still legendary is gone, I see no reason to keep measuring it at that low a res, but hey it ain't my forum so meh.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

8 lines on 1024X768. Why that small? No clue, but that's what the staff measures it by.

Now that still legendary is gone, I see no reason to keep measuring it at that low a res, but hey it ain't my forum so meh.

StillLegendary..... *sigh*

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stroker
View Post

I fully agree with the TOS. I hate it when someones sig takes up half the damn page.

I agree, it's lame when people feel the need to quote 5 different dumb/lame/stupid posts...

When a sig is twice or even 3 times the size of sig rig text that's ridiculous...

But I noticed lately the more posts/reps someone has the easier it is to get away with it, they get reported and nothing ever changes...That is sad...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts