Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my sleeving parts will be here today (waiting on another 100ft to ship still) and I'm trying to pull the molex connectors off, but I can't figure out how. I've read guides, but these just will not come out.

Pics:

JhlEj.jpg

Bu10t.jpg

JYReT.jpg

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
That looks like it should work OK. Do the prongs go either side of the pin and fully down to the bottom of the connector?

Sometimes wiggling the cable and/or pushing the wire up with the tool inserted helps.

Sometimes it needs quite a bit of force to pull it out and having the wire perfectly straight.

The worst one I've done is the Seasonic in my main system and that took a hell of a lot of force to get the wires out.

Are you also having problems with the 4 pin molex plug as well bearing in mind that uses a different tool to the ATX pin remover.

Edit: This is how far the prongs on the Molex ATX tool go in:

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Off topic: how tough is it to sleeve that PSU in your opinion? I have the 600w version and I'd like the sleeve it

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Seasonic seem to have used non-standard ATX pins, they're a pain to get out and a pain to reinsert with sleeved cable. Far easier to make up your own cables with proper Molex ATX pins.

Also both the 24 pin and PCI-E cables use double wires which I resolved by splicing.

On my particular one roughly 6-8 of the PCI-E pins weren't properly crimped and detached from the wire relatively easily. They were crimped OK on all the other cables.

On the PSU side Seasonic have used non-standard ATX connectors particularly for the 24 pin which means the wires go all over the place instead of having a 1 to 1 relationship e.g like you'd get with extenders

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you get the right sleeving + Heatshrink not hard I reckon. I really don't want to have to power my rig down to sleeve it though.

I have 200ft (with another 100 feet locked up due to a HORRIBLE company (SERIOUSLY stay away from www.paracordplanet.com!) Been trying to cancel for a week now, no one replies, their phone number belongs to a bank, and yeah.

I'd file a dispute.. BUT paypal requires you to fax or snail mail them.. With your debit card number on the letter.. NOPE.avi

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured out the molex eventually, but the PCI-E and 24 pin are giving me issues. will try again later.

Managed to remove 3 connectors on the strand I use for my fans. took like 8" of cord out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts