Votes: 30 81.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 18.9%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I booted into Windows for the first time in a few months in order to try out the Medal of Honor Open Beta. Seems like every time I boot into it Windows runs a chkdsk and it deletes files that aren't corrupt. Thankfully some of them I have torrented so they re-download when I boot back into Linux and my torrent client realizes I don't have 100% of the download anymore, but I do have LOTS of important files that aren't torrented and just end up getting deleted.

Is Windows really worth keeping around when it's deleting my files? I do have a monster rig that can handle gaming very well, but I seem satisfied with just playing a few games via wine.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
put one of them on an external HDD with eSATA or something?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
I booted into Windows for the first time in a few months in order to try out the Medal of Honor Open Beta. Seems like every time I boot into it Windows runs a chkdsk and it deletes files that aren't corrupt. Thankfully some of them I have torrented so they re-download when I boot back into Linux and my torrent client realizes I don't have 100% of the download anymore, but I do have LOTS of important files that aren't torrented and just end up getting deleted.

Is Windows really worth keeping around when it's deleting my files? I do have a monster rig that can handle gaming very well, but I seem satisfied with just playing a few games via wine.
Dude, hate to say it, but its your OC. I know you know about OCing but my Windows 7 was doing that to me as well, until I got my system MORE stable. Hasnt done it in 2 weeks. Unstable OC's as you probably already know can cause file corruption. Thats what was happening to me.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueduck3285 View Post
Dude, hate to say it, but its your OC. I know you know about OCing but my Windows 7 was doing that to me as well, until I got my system MORE stable. Hasnt done it in 2 weeks. Unstable OC's as you probably already know can cause file corruption. Thats what was happening to me.
Aggree with Blueduck on this one. its not that windows sucks, its your overclock. You probably dont have your memory tuned right nor you voltages. check them and run a prime95 test for about 24hrs and if it passes with no problems then you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueduck3285 View Post
Only thing that is strange is that when I actively used Windows for a few months prior to installing Linux, I did not have an issue and my OC hasn't changed. I've never ran prime95 for a full 24 hours, but I've never had an issue in the past using Windows 7 only. I'll try running prime95 tonight. Better safe than sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eduardv View Post
Maybe you should remove Linux,so you can have a better expierence
maybe you should open your mind before you open your mouth

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Yeah there's a bad config, maybe it got corrupt from something else and is causing continuous problems? If you can't find a hardware fault then re-install Win7 and see if that helps? Sounds like a strange problem indeed. ='(

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi
View Post

Only thing that is strange is that when I actively used Windows for a few months prior to installing Linux, I did not have an issue and my OC hasn't changed. I've never ran prime95 for a full 24 hours, but I've never had an issue in the past using Windows 7 only. I'll try running prime95 tonight. Better safe than sorry.

maybe you should open your mind before you open your mouth

it does it to me as well.

it has to do with the ntfs-3g driver, it isn't perfect, it does some funky things that is why it is typically a good idea only to mount ntfs drives as Read only.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
I can't believe I'm saying this but... if you can fix your OC and get Win7 to run right, I'd keep it around. I'd probably have a copy if I used it enough to justify buying it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by transhour View Post

it has to do with the ntfs-3g driver, it isn't perfect, it does some funky things that is why it is typically a good idea only to mount ntfs drives as Read only.
Thanks for confirming this. Is there a partition format like FAT32 that supports files larger than 4GB? And is support by Linux and Windows?

Looks like exFAT is what I want. Anybody used this before?

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

What!? I've been using the fuse system since it was beta and haven't ever herd that it should only be RW. Fuse works extremely well... Heck I've had linux run fdisk -r or w/e to repair a ntfs partition that windows couldn't do squat for. I could see it causing problems every blue moon or so but.... Idk, I've never had an issue and I switch over frequently. I do all my linux downloads straight to my NTFS cause it's a 600G drive.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
i have this problem every time i boot into windows (which isn't often) and i know it is not an OC problem, cause for the last 3 week's i've been running without an OC and it still occurs.

got tired of it deleting things so read up on it, a lot of people suggest mounting ntfs as read only. since i've done this i have had no problems, going into windows.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

i have this problem every time i boot into windows (which isn't often) and i know it is not an OC problem, cause for the last 3 week's i've been running without an OC and it still occurs.

got tired of it deleting things so read up on it, a lot of people suggest mounting ntfs as read only. since i've done this i have had no problems, going into windows.
Might also be an Ubuntu issue, I run Debian and have never had problems using it. Yet another reason why I don't like the stability issues Ubuntu poses.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
Might also be an Ubuntu issue, I run Debian and have never had problems using it. Yet another reason why I don't like the stability issues Ubuntu poses.
could be, but jimi uses arch.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

could be, but jimi uses arch.
Right, but doesn't exactly pin down FUSE... Idk though, maybe debian uses an older setup for FUSE, from my understanding of Arch it's supposed to be close to bleeding edge software.... Bleeding edge != Debian.
Though more and more Debian Unstable has been getting some good stuff it's way, I think the addition of Experimental helped.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Oh man I HATE the fact that Windows will run auto chkdsk. So annoying. There is a way to disable that 'feature', so if you google it you should be able to find out how to do that. I have only had it happen once, so I just let it do its thing.

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,862 Posts
I don't know why it would be running chkdsk unless you've modified the partitions without permission from Windows. I've run Windows in a dual boot for a long time and only after messing with the partitions has it wanted to run chkdsk.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
Oh man I HATE the fact that Windows will run auto chkdsk. So annoying. There is a way to disable that 'feature', so if you google it you should be able to find out how to do that. I have only had it happen once, so I just let it do its thing.
You can choose to ignore it and skip past it. I guess I'm really in search for a new format for my partitions that are shared between Windows & Linux. I looked into FAT64/exFAT, but I can't find a lot of information about it and I don't think GParted supports it. Any other ideas? Why can't Microsoft support more open file systems?

In the meantime, I checked my OC. It was stable, but I did notice it was generating more heat than it was originally. I proceeded to get it stable again with a few different settings in order to lower temps. I doubt it was my OC, though. It makes more sense that NTFS-3G/FUSE is the problem.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Yeah, I don't care for those programs. That's why when I had the Win7 trial, I used a third partition in NTFS for both Windows and Linux.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
I dunno, as far as filesystems go I've always used the default programs and never had issues. Well, there was this one time that I put Win7 on my 600G and it didn't like that. I'm not sure if it was the partitioning resize or not. I have since removed all systems from that drive and it works fine. Other than that I've never had any issues, partitions don't get corrupt and files don't go funky less I've got an OC going that's bad. My current OC was stable but now I don't even OC any more, CnQ with Granola saves the planet!
lol

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
You can choose to ignore it and skip past it. I guess I'm really in search for a new format for my partitions that are shared between Windows & Linux. I looked into FAT64/exFAT, but I can't find a lot of information about it and I don't think GParted supports it. Any other ideas? Why can't Microsoft support more open file systems?

In the meantime, I checked my OC. It was stable, but I did notice it was generating more heat than it was originally. I proceeded to get it stable again with a few different settings in order to lower temps. I doubt it was my OC, though. It makes more sense that NTFS-3G/FUSE is the problem.
I don't think that there is a way to actually create exfat file systems in Linux yet, however you can mount/read/write to them using fuse-exfat. Write support is only a few months old, also.

I've actually been in the same boat as you lately (regarding choosing a middle ground FS for Linux and Windows). Here is my take.

I have a RAID0 array (3*500GB) that is divided as such:

Code:

Code:
[[email protected] Shapes]$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 1498.7 GB, 1498675150848 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182203 cylinders, total 2927099904 sectors                                                                            
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes                                                                                                             
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                                              
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x13d4df08

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *          63      208844      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2          208845      738989      265072+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3          738990    51954209    25607610   83  Linux
/dev/sda4        51954210  2927091194  1437568492+  83  Linux
I was debating as to what filesystem to use after backing up and wiping my 5*500GB RAID5 array. I was tired of compromising performance by running a filesystem through fuse instead of something that is open and native to the kernel, so for now I went with ext4. I was also debating JFS, XFS, and Reiser, so I still may test those.

I am able to read the ext4 partition in Windows using ext2fs, then if I need to access a file (watching a movie for example) I just right click, save file, then it copies it to the Windows partition. I just delete it after I'm done.

I know this isn't ideal, but it allows me to keep everything separate and have the filesystems native to each OS.

I don't know why Windows doesn't have better file system support, especially considering how slow NTFS is. Exfat is a huge improvement, but I would still like to see ext support.

Also if you don't mind running 32-bit Windows you could use coLinux, a really awesome way to create a Linux environment that is basically an executable program. When they finally finish porting it to 64 bit I will use that in a heartbeat.
http://www.colinux.org/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts