Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the IHS off my second SD 3700.

Load temps before removal = 52c (Prime 95)

Load temps after removal = 42c (Prime 95)

I learned that when you remove your IHS the Heat Sink sits up very slightly on the CPU socket shoulder. I took the edge of the heatsink that sits on top of the shoulder and ground about a 32 of an inch off/down.
That made the HS sit perfectly flush on the Die.

Before I ground that down I was only getting 4 degrees of the load temp.

Yes my overclock Became stable at a lower voltage.

I thought I would take the opertunity to show my baby off

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
How many volts are you feeding that badboy? Nice temps, how high was your blood preassure when you pulled off your IHS?

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazed and confused

How many volts are you feeding that badboy? Nice temps, how high was your blood preassure when you pulled off your IHS?

Adrenaline was pumping when I hit the power button
I have 1.7 Volts pumping
Call me crazy. 3.04 on air... Stable... 42c Load.... This is better than Christmas

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Sweet

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn

Crash, how long do you expect it to last @ 1.7 vcore? I may jump up there with you

From what I understand. High V-Core can kill a chip. It can Whack the memory controlers. This has a higher chance of hapening if your V-Core is high, and your V-Dimm is low.

My V-Core is high 1.7, and my V-Dimm is high 3.64 (ONLY with BH-5 folks). I am going to run this 24/7 ... Lets see what happens

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Yeah, I'm running 3.6 too, I'm interested to see how long she lives! If she lasts more than 4 months without dying, I may jump up there with you

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn

Yeah, I'm running 3.6 too, I'm interested to see how long she lives! If she lasts more than 4 months without dying, I may jump up there with you

Hopefully I dont have to change my member name to yours

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

From what I understand. High V-Core can kill a chip. It can Whack the memory controlers. This has a higher chance of hapening if your V-Core is high, and your V-Dimm is low.

My V-Core is high 1.7, and my V-Dimm is high 3.64 (ONLY with BH-5 folks).
I am going to run this 24/7 ... Lets see what happens

Are you talking about high vtt (mem controller voltage, which is half of vdimm) when there is low vcore? I think it was at another forum long ago, people fried fx's when they ran it at (near) stock voltage and their vdimm was 3.4+.

Your vtt would be ~1.8, so 1.7 isn't too far off. In fact I think your chip would be safer at 1.7 than 1.6 because your vtt would be so high compared to vcore. (Too much of a difference zaps the uh...diodes? between memcontroller & proc)...

It's a little early in the morning
but is this what you're talking about?

EDIT: By the way, did your oc increase at all? I'm tempted...10c drop in load is just amazing. w00t!

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ouroboros1827

Are you talking about high vtt (mem controller voltage, which is half of vdimm) when there is low vcore? I think it was at another forum long ago, people fried fx's when they ran it at (near) stock voltage and their vdimm was 3.4+.

Your vtt would be ~1.8, so 1.7 isn't too far off. In fact I think your chip would be safer at 1.7 than 1.6 because your vtt would be so high compared to vcore. (Too much of a difference zaps the uh...diodes? between memcontroller & proc)...

It's a little early in the morning
but is this what you're talking about?

EDIT: By the way, did your oc increase at all? I'm tempted...10c drop in load is just amazing. w00t!

Wow, I never knew running a high vdim and lower vcore could be dangerous, I always thought the more vcore, the worse, but your saying its safer for the vcore to be higher because oft he vtt?

What is the vtt?

I guess you learn something new everyday.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Mumbles

Wow, I never knew running a high vdim and lower vcore could be dangerous, I always thought the more vcore, the worse, but your saying its safer for the vcore to be higher because oft he vtt?

What is the vtt?

I guess you learn something new everyday.

I wouldn't do anything rash untill we get more information on this

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Actually, running higher than stock Vcore will lower life expectancy. The transistors aren't designed to switch at such high voltage, but nobody knows for sure by how much it'll change things because every chip is different. I'm comfortable with low 1.6 range,but 1.7 for me is too ballsy
Awesome results though, I wouldn't have believed a 10 C drop if it had come from a new member, but coming from you, I believe it.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

I wouldn't do anything rash untill we get more information on this

Haha believe me I wasn't planning on doing anything
I am also curious as to how long its gona last with 1.7vcore. I guess your awsome temps help though.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
VTT is half the memory voltage according to ouroburos, if you keep it around or equal to the vcore, then you won't have such a large differential. For example:

Vdimm- 3.6
VTT = 1.8

Vcore should be 1.8 to eliminate the differential in voltage across the chip, but we really don't use 1.75 and up until a TEC and/or phase.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.