Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im using the stock AMD heatsink and fan on my processor and I might be getting some AS5 to put on it to make my temps better. Is there a special way your supposed to take of yuor heatsink? I mean like does the stuff that came with it stick to the CPU? do I need a special tool or something to get it off? Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
no you jus pull it off take the clips off the sides and lift it off

• Rep+
Reactions: Realm_walker

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by HaYChE

no you jus pull it off take the clips off the sides and lift it off

Awsome
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
386 Posts
np anytime pal! :)

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
yeap, it's not too hard. i had an intel heatsink on my dell motherboard, it used tensioner clips to keep it in place, all i needed to do was wiggle it and it came off. just don't put too much pressure trying to wiggle it, it might snap some of the pins and or bend them.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Realm_walker

Awsome
Thanks for the help!

It's not that simple all the time. Sometimes the CPU bonds itself to the heatsink because the thermal pad or crappy paste that was used dries up and you'll rip the cpu out of the socket trying to pull the heatsink off.

A better way to do it is, play a game for atleast half an hour, or run prime95 (something that will get your cpu hot) then quickly shut down and proceed to do what was previously suggested.

This will ensure that the paste/pad is soft when you pull off the heatsink and you wont damage your cpu.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400
It's not that simple all the time. Sometimes the CPU bonds itself to the heatsink because the thermal pad or crappy paste that was used dries up and you'll rip the cpu out of the socket trying to pull the heatsink off.

A better way to do it is, play a game for atleast half an hour, or run prime95 (something that will get your cpu hot) then quickly shut down and proceed to do what was previously suggested.

This will ensure that the paste/pad is soft when you pull off the heatsink and you wont damage your cpu.
Oki, Thats a good bit of advice right there. Thanks!, and thanks to everyone else who helped too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts