Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I was wondering if I remove my IHS, how much better temps could I possibly get?
I am not worried about voiding my warranty, cause I already did that when I lapped my IHS. What are the pros and cons in removing it? Also What are the risks involved with it? Like can I crush my core? and so on.
I mean my temps are pretty good, 14C idle and 30C load. but what do you think I would get if I removed the IHS.

A little pre-thanks to all that post. You will be rewarded

- Atomic

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Well from what Ive seen ar ethat temps drop at an avg. of 10 degrees....which seems really good.

Whole Process scares me though =O

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can chip the core if you're not careful when you tighten the screws for your cooling. Just take your time and err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
well, if ur notworried about voiding....gio for it, but be careful not to crack the core....you should get @least 8C diff in temp. Just be careful that, when you remove it, if you use a knife, try not to cut too deep, lest you damage transistors.....many put their procs face down in very very shallow (just enough to cover the seam) amounts of adhesive remover....mild adhesive remover mind you. Like the kind used to loosen band-aid adhesive.....

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
I did it. It's SO easy! Just take a razor blade (I used the kind you put in general purpose razor tools) and rock it back and forth on the corner of the chip...then rock it towards the other corner until you cut half way through...and repeat on all 4 corners both ways. Make sure NOT to go deeper than about 2-3mm or you might hit one of those transistor pack thingers...

I did it to my 3500+ and it lowered my idle temps by like 6C or something....but if I remember correctly the load stayed basically the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts