Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am repainting my Antec 900 to do a better job. On the plastic front of the Antec 900, I painted it pretty badly and I am hoping to remove the paint.

Does anyone know what is the best way to remove paint from plastic? I know I can use bumper stripper, but I will have to order it online as the auto store near me does not have it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Use scotchguard. It makes a huge mess, but it gets the paint off pretty effectively.

Its like $5 for a pack of 3 decent sized sheets. Just about every auto store has it.
(It's also fantastic for giving metal a brushed look)

Either that or you'll need access to a sandblaster.

Good luck
-Jason

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwgti
View Post

Any biodegradable paint stripper should work without harming the plastic.

Do you have any examples? I did check previously with 2 hardware stores (Ace and Home Depot) regarding paint strippers and they were even surprised when I asked them if there is a paint stripper that is safe on plastic.

Also regarding scotchgard, ill try that and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Any citrus based stripper, its low tox and takes a while to eat through paint like 30-60 mins so shouldnt hurt the plastic. As long as your careful and test its reaction on the paint often you should be fine.

I use thison motorcycle plastics prior to refinish and have had zero ill effects, like I said just keep testing how its eating the paint every couple minutes. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/c...gel-54638.html

Only other suggestion is as stated above or some fine wet/dry sandpaper.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to say thanks. I did try the citrus stripper (smelled like orange) and it did melt/soften the plastic a bit, but I was able to remove enough paint to easily sand it down to bare plastic

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Sorry to hear you soften up the plastic, hence my warning to test regularly. Glad it helped out and didnt ruin it for you. Took me a couple trys to get using this stripper on plastic down pat. First lesson learned, just leave it in contact for a shorter time next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts