Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help with this one, is there any special trick in removing ramsinks from a video card? The lil guys are held on by thermal tape, which I thought would come off with a little pressure but that is definitely not the case.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Maybe try running the card stressed to heat it up a bit (or a hair dryer) Other than that or some alcohol as a solvent. You may even be able to use an exacto knife or something to cut them off if you can do it without damaging the IC. I never had a problem just using brute force with tape. I did, however, pull a nice chip out of the center of a vreg when removing one held on with thermal adhesive. That stuff is strong.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah those were my thoughts too, well I'm off to Fry's - anyone need anything?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666
View Post

Yeah those were my thoughts too, well I'm off to Fry's - anyone need anything?

I need a new motherboard...but I'm just trolling now.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Use a blow dryer and twist them off. That was my method and seem to work fairly easy.

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aksthem1
View Post

Use a blow dryer and twist them off. That was my method and seem to work fairly easy.

Yup, the twisty method is the best. Don't try to pull them off vertically, just twist until they come loose.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by timw4mail
View Post

I need a new motherboard...but I'm just trolling now.

Hey they've got some good motherboard processor deals - but you know all those boards are ECS :/

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Hey they've got some good motherboard processor deals - but you know all those boards are ECS :/

Honestly wouldn't care, as long as they can handle my Phenom 9650 being clocked higher than 9950 at stock...and they have Phenom OCing options.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by timw4mail
View Post

Honestly wouldn't care, as long as they can handle my Phenom 9650 being clocked higher than 9950 at stock...and they have Phenom OCing options.

That's a tall order lol.

A little off topic: I don't turn on the heat in my house, like many people my office heats up a good portion of the house with as many computers that are in here running. This morning is particularly chilly and I just noticed my cat is behind this computer which has two folding 3870's at 80% fan speed blowing on her lol.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

View Post

That's a tall order lol.

Yeah, but enough of me off-railing your thread...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts