Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I haven't had much luck on google finding an answer to this so I'm wonder if I can get some legal advice from the forum..lolz
biggrin.gif

Long story short my SO and I are looking to move from our current place because the price of our rent is gonna go up about 30-40% in a few months..killer I know. So we found a place and submitted an application. It's a condo owned by someone and we're going through a website that does all the rental stuff for us (cozy). So anywho. We got our application completed this past weekend and we're waiting on our lease terms and all that in order to sign and pay our deposit... So low and behold the future landlord says that they received an application after ours with the potential tenants moving in earlier than us at the same rental price...they haven't decided who to give the lease to yet... Can they do that? Our application passed with flying colors and to our knowledge, we were the first people to apply...

SO basically what's happened is the Landlord is denying us because we're not moving in earlier than someone else that applied after us...
We haven't even been given a chance to secure the place because the Landlord hasn't released the terms to us yet or anything...

We're out $70 for the application and it seems a bit unfair that the Landlord would deny us for reasons outside our application. I feel like there's some fair housing act that prevents the Landlord from doing this.

At this point Our gut is telling us to pass on the place because we also had a similar time when the Landlord was telling us a week ago that they had someone else look at the place after us and that we should get our application in soon... It seems like the Landlord is rushing us into the place but now they're putting the breaks on us or heck they want us to move in earlier or pay more. They told us the other people want to move in earlier and they'd pay the same rate as us (we negotiated it down)...

What do you guys think?

·
Dark and Dropped SUV
4,025 Posts
That's the thing about today's world. It's no longer about being nice, it's what benefits you now.
If you had the option to start making money tomorrow or three weeks from now what would you choose...
And yes, the landlord can pick who he wants. It's his house. The company you guys went through online just helps him consolidate all applications into one place where than having ten applications sitting on his desk at home he has to dig through.

I'm no legal person, so take it with a grain of salt.
But like you said, unless you call the landlord and actually speak to him about the issue I would pass. You may want to actually find a legal site to ask this on rather than a computer website. But who knows, maybe someone on here works in the housing/legal industry.

Best of luck to you though.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

Hey guys! I haven't had much luck on google finding an answer to this so I'm wonder if I can get some legal advice from the forum..lolz
biggrin.gif

Long story short my SO and I are looking to move from our current place because the price of our rent is gonna go up about 30-40% in a few months..killer I know. So we found a place and submitted an application. It's a condo owned by someone and we're going through a website that does all the rental stuff for us (cozy). So anywho. We got our application completed this past weekend and we're waiting on our lease terms and all that in order to sign and pay our deposit... So low and behold the future landlord says that they received an application after ours with the potential tenants moving in earlier than us at the same rental price...they haven't decided who to give the lease to yet... Can they do that? Our application passed with flying colors and to our knowledge, we were the first people to apply...

SO basically what's happened is the Landlord is denying us because we're not moving in earlier than someone else that applied after us...
We haven't even been given a chance to secure the place because the Landlord hasn't released the terms to us yet or anything...

We're out $70 for the application and it seems a bit unfair that the Landlord would deny us for reasons outside our application. I feel like there's some fair housing act that prevents the Landlord from doing this.

At this point Our gut is telling us to pass on the place because we also had a similar time when the Landlord was telling us a week ago that they had someone else look at the place after us and that we should get our application in soon... It seems like the Landlord is rushing us into the place but now they're putting the breaks on us or heck they want us to move in earlier or pay more. They told us the other people want to move in earlier and they'd pay the same rate as us (we negotiated it down)...

What do you guys think?
Pretty sure you're out of luck. It's not first come, first accepted.. it's who the landlord chooses to do business with.

They might have waited even longer for another person had neither your application nor the other persons impressed them.

If you like the place, move earlier. I found such a perfect and cheap flat here with my girlfriend that I moved from my old place with a weeks notice. I had to find someone to replace me (as my notice period to leave was 3 months), but that was all.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea that's what it sounds like. We're moving on. There seems to be good options other than that place... $70 down the tubes...but hey, I was able to see I've got a higher credit score than my SO...oh yea!

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:

Yea that's what it sounds like. We're moving on. There seems to be good options other than that place... $70 down the tubes...but hey, I was able to see I've got a higher credit score than my SO...oh yea!
That's annoying you have to pay the agent per application. It used to be here that you would only pay per succesful application, but then it was like 1 month rent + 10% fee.

They made that illegal last year though.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98uk View Post

Quote:

That's annoying you have to pay the agent per application. It used to be here that you would only pay per succesful application, but then it was like 1 month rent + 10% fee.

They made that illegal last year though.
I didn't pay the landlord I paid the 3rd party for the background check and credit check... I guess that's "legit"...

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Yea it's not who gets there first (as stated) it's who the land lord wants. My land lord rejected lots of applicants before myself + my roommate applied.
They had had some financially shaky tenants before apparently and didn't want to accept anyone who was a potential risk in their view.

You're at their mercy essentially unless you want to try and offer more $ as an incentive over other applicants maybe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts