Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear OCN Moderators,
I have seen an increase in spam in the news section, so I think a rep requirement of 35 (the same as selling something) and a post requirement would be nice to prevent this from happening. Maybe a little lower, but just something to keep this from happening, I like looking for real news, and these spammers are hurting this site and I think it's an easy fix. Please do something about it.

·
Premium Member
22,343 Posts
The spam would just go somewhere else if we did, not much point really. Sometimes newer members bring us interesting news, so I think it would hurt more then help.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I agree something needs to be done, I disagree with 35.

Honestly, we need a 1-rep requirement, just to stop people from making an account to post about how to Rip and convert a DVD every day.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
AFAIK, this has been suggested numerous times! I somewhat agree with it, but also feel that the functionality of this site in a proper way also falls on its members. W are a community here, and should all be doing our best to follow the rules, help the mods (by following the rules), and generally hold each other at a higher standard.

Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post
The spam would just go somewhere else if we did, not much point really.
No where else would it make sense though right? I mean I see their logic behind putting it in the news section, but spam in the CPU (just an example) section? You really think so?

A 10 rep requirement would suffice I think.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Not bad thoughts? But are these spammers like most 1 post? If so maybe say 5 to start with and go from there? Anyway I like your thoughts in a holistic way.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
Honestly, we need a 1-rep requirement, just to stop people from making an account to post about how to Rip and convert a DVD every day.
Agreed.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Wow post and four responses OP reposts one more post after all in the 1st minute? Think we could teach spammers and advertising agencies.

·
Snow!
1,248 Posts
Hmm, maybe not a minimum rep, but a minimun post count would be nice. Even new members can post a bit before they have news.

Oh oh, while we are on the topic, how about -10 rep to those who respond to spam, they annoy me even more

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asus Mobile View Post
Wow post and four responses OP reposts one more post after all in the 1st minute? Think we could teach spammers and advertising agencies.
You trying to say im a spammer?
Look at my rep/posts. Lol.

• Rep+
Reactions: Asus Mobile

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I don't know what to say anymore for OCN. Things aren't that great lately... not just these spams.

But how long will this limit last before those spam bots spam 5 posts within 150 seconds? And then we have more spam to take care of? What if the bots got smarter and repped? That would just make a mess.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjinsamax3 View Post
I don't know what to say anymore for OCN. Things aren't that great lately... not just these spams.

But how long will this limit last before those spam bots spam 5 posts within 150 seconds? And then we have more spam to take care of? What if the bots got smarter and repped? That would just make a mess.
EDIT: well a rep requirement would make it more difficult at least, maybe a unique rep requirement too? This would make it harder.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeRoth View Post
Reputation is kind of a shady subject though. I have 1Rep, Ive only been active for a month? but who is to say I don't have the same respect and mannerisms as somebody with 1000Rep. It is also on how people view you and their opinion to if you get Rep or not, so there is room for disagreeing on if someone deserves more or less Rep.
This isn't for whether or not people deserve rep, its about trying to find a solution to cut down on spam.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
lol, this post isn't directly about rep though..? You're missing the OP's topic.

I do agree with you though.

There's actually no "full" cure for these spams, in my opinion. Damn those spam bot creators!!

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeRoth View Post
Reputation is kind of a shady subject though. I have 1Rep, Ive only been active for a month? but who is to say I don't have the same respect and mannerisms as somebody with 1000Rep. It is also on how people view you and their opinion to if you get Rep or not, so there is room for disagreeing on if someone deserves more or less Rep.
Well soon you will have more rep, trust me, getting 10 rep can be done in a few days

And yes, DAMN spam to HELL!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.