Overclock.net banner

Rep Requirement for News Posts.

479 27
Dear OCN Moderators,
I have seen an increase in spam in the news section, so I think a rep requirement of 35 (the same as selling something) and a post requirement would be nice to prevent this from happening. Maybe a little lower, but just something to keep this from happening, I like looking for real news, and these spammers are hurting this site and I think it's an easy fix. Please do something about it.
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
13,909 Posts
Half of me is all for the idea of required rep for posting news.

But at the same time, I foresee: "Rants and raves section - I have some great news, but I can't post it. Too bad that I don't have enough rep."

Then bam, insta-rep abuse.

· Premium Member
7,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
rep is used effectiviely for the for sale thread with out too much complaining, 10 rep i think would mostly fix the problem we are having. Maybe not 100% fool proof, but then again, what is?!

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
EDIT: well a rep requirement would make it more difficult at least, maybe a unique rep requirement too? This would make it harder.
Unfortunately not by much. These owners of these bots now hire humans to bypass image captchas, and will do the same with any posting bars.

The only way to get them to stop is to make it painful for them to try (very high post count to post news and the same with reps -- and the reps MUST be tied to even using the New Thread button [it being grayed out until a member hits X amount of posts/reps]).

It's a delicate balancing act to provide access and keeping forum decorum. You want the most to participate, but just a little limitation to keep interest and these spammers away.

Can also install the Misery mod, for at least have some fun at their expense.

· Registered
231 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjinsamax3
View Post

But what if the spam bots start clicking on reps? Repping their other spam bots? We have to think about that? It'd be even worse if they rep people out of no where.

LOL, repping out of nowhere... I have been on this site a little more than a year.. last week or the one prior was when I received my 1st rep.... so I will take some spam bot reps.... LOL J/K
also... ninjin... we are folding buddies/// .lol

· Administrator
71,085 Posts
This has come up many times. We have always said that the news section will not have a minimal requirment.

If we were to have such limitations it could potentially hurt the flow of news and information bought to OCN.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.