Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask.

But i have had a broken Molex connector on my Xbox for ages.
Got a shot of it that's crap but still. Basically the cables have been pulled out of the connector thingy.
I have bought a new connector and kinda forced them in, it "works", but they are lose and it's just crap.

So i want to know, how can i fix this, what tools do i need?

(Sorry for the bad image, thought it was gonna be good, and i haven't bothered opening everything up again cause i don't wana mess around in there too much).

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
The easiest thing to do is to cut off the old connector completely (all 4 wires) and then just solder on a new connector that you cut off from something else. You could even just solder the broken wires back onto the existing pins, You can get the pins out without an extractor, but it's kind of hard to do.

To do it right you need a pin extractor, new pins (2), and a pin crimper

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of the connectors are in a Pin btw, the picture is a bit misleading.
2 of the pins are in the the connector, and it's in the two which are empty (the cables are out).
I just put them in to push agains the pin as it conduct it anyway.

The other two which are inside are just pure cables, no pins (no idea where they went xD).

So with that i guess i need 4 pins, where do one buy this stuff cheap btw?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
I posted a bezillion links. You should be able to get everything you need for around $10 anywhere, not worth it to shop around.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you posted 4 links and i looked at all of them:)
Problem is i live in Europe, and this stuff isn't really something you buy in a random store here, nor online.
At least i don't really know of any that cheap (costs a fortune here cause the shipping is like twice the product -_- for small stuff).

Will try look at ebay for the pins at least and extractor, even the crimper costs a fortune here compared to ebay which doesn't even make sense if you think about the weight:S

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post

I know you posted 4 links and i looked at all of them:)
Problem is i live in Europe, and this stuff isn't really something you buy in a random store here, nor online.
At least i don't really know of any that cheap (costs a fortune here cause the shipping is like twice the product -_- for small stuff).

Will try look at ebay for the pins at least and extractor, even the crimper costs a fortune here compared to ebay which doesn't even make sense if you think about the weight:S
just try to git the pins. then cut off where it got all jacked up. then use a wire stripper or something to clean the wires to make them bare for your new pins. just make sure u have enough length to do what you are doing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerhz View Post

just try to git the pins. then cut off where it got all jacked up. then use a wire stripper or something to clean the wires to make them bare for your new pins. just make sure u have enough length to do what you are doing.
Oh i need a wire stripper as well, so i can't just force that messed up cable in and crush it?

Are these the correct pins?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pc-HDD-Molex-3-Harddisk-Connector-Metal-Contact-Pin-female-Crimp-terminal/111944134766?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35624%26meid%3D4ffd753fabb542798c81f45188389a06%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D111925333204

1 - 8 of 8 Posts